Can someone help me troubleshoot this???

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I have a client who is getting RAS error 50 when she tries to connect to the internet via dialup.
When I reset winsock she can get online, but after awhile she will eventually get error 50 when trying to connect. She has to reset winsock with a utility I gave her and then reboot so that she can reconnect. I believe that something is corrupting winsock, but I can't figure out what. I have never seen this error and can't find much about it on google. Can someone give me some troubleshooting tips? I am out of ideas. Here are the things that I have done...

Reset TCP/IP
Reset Winsock
Scanned for spyware, none found
Uninstalled the modem / Reinstalled the modem
Ran the recovery CD and did a reinstall of the OS without losing her files. I believe they called it a non destructive recovery.

I would just do a fresh install of Windows XP, but she has confidential medical records on her computer and she doesn't want me to, so that is not an option. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Lyquist

What has tech support of her ISP said? They should be able to help her I would think at least give her a good idea of whats wrong.

The same thing happens with multiple ISP's. I tried three seperate ones and they all give the RAS Error 50 message. Like I said before, resetting winsock fixes the problem, but only temporarily and then she has to reboot to get back on-line. I am going over on Saturday evening to further troubleshoot this, so any ideas would be helpful. If you need more info just ask.

Lyquist

When you say you are resetting Winsock, are you using a utility like LSP-Fix to remove unwanted Winsock layer providers or what?

nessus said:
When you say you are resetting Winsock, are you using a utility like LSP-Fix to remove unwanted Winsock layer providers or what?

I have used the netsh command to fix winsock and I have also used a utility that I downloaded from the web that fixes it.

Lyquist

sounds like the modem is sending garbage. Try updating modem drivers, disable v.92 with a modem string, or just get a new modem as most of the ones that come with OEM's are pure shit.

Back