Can see folders, hangs when i enter one

kisafie1

Weaksauce
I have a domain server (win2k server) and i try to access its folders (with WinXP Pro). When i click on the computer, it gives me its dir tree, but when i click on any folder, it just hangs forever. I wish it would give me an error.

Anyone got a solution for this n00b? Please?

try disableing any anti-virus software temporarily... i had a similar problem and it turns out the CA's eTrust Anti-Virus was trying to scan every file in every network folder i would try to go to, making it hang for quite a bit, especially like in my movies share which is like 200Gb :eek:

I don't think it has WINS server running.

As for AV software, there isn't any AV software running at all. No one here uses Outlook (or any email software for that matter) only yahoo.com and hotmail.com. So viruses aren't much of a priority.

Could be master browser errors. Windows has a huge problem with many computers on the network fighting to become the master browser. In some cases you won't notice a thing, but on different domains it's real obvious.

We have a root domain and a child domain. When browsing servers in the child domain it goes real smooth. But as soon as you want to click on the root domain it takes a long time to process.

Also, sometimes if you go into a domain and see all the clients, you might only see about 70% of what's really on your network. This is also caused by that dastardly master browser problem.

Too bad it is unfixable, but microsoft is well aware of it.

Back