Can I use a MSDN copy of Vista for the free Windows 7 upgrade?

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
I can get Vista Business for pretty cheap through my school's MSDN website, and have read that if you purchase a copy of Vista now till the Windows 7 release, you can get a corresponding Windows 7 Upgrade (in my case Windows 7 Pro) for free. Does anybody know if this applies to a school MSDN subscription, or does this only apply to retail stores/copies of Windows Vista? My account is probably going to expire soon, so if I can get Windows 7 Pro for cheap, I'm going to get it while I still can.

Windows 7 upgrade is not going to try to authenticate your license of a previous OS, just do a clean install.

Retail offers don't apply to MSDN products. 7 is probably going to be out on MSDN at the end of the month so you should be ok.

Windows 7 upgrade is not going to try to authenticate your license of a previous OS, just do a clean install.

Right, I just wasn't sure if I provided a "proof of purchase" of my Vista Business edition from MSDN for like $25, that they would even consider it valid for a copy of Windows 7

Retail offers don't apply to MSDN products. 7 is probably going to be out on MSDN at the end of the month so you should be ok.

Thanks, that's more along the lines of what I was looking for. The class I'm in is over next week, so hopefully I'll still have access by the end of the month. If not, it's no big deal, I've already pre-ordered a copy of W7 Home Premium, I'd just like to have a second copy for my other machine.

Back