Camera buying question

trev141

Limp Gawd
Hey guys -
I'm not experienced with digital photography really at all, so that's why I'm looking to tap into your expertise ;).

My mom needs a camera basically based on two factors:
1. Shutter lag has to be as small as possible (Big factor)
2. Pretty good pictures (3 megapixel is fine)

She photographs a lot of animals, and they just don't stay in the same position for 3 seconds (like it is now with the nikon coolpix 4300).

But she doesn't care about any advanced features really - all she'll need is point and shoot (preferably at a reasonable price).

Also, it would be nice if the flash were offset so red-eye (or green-eye in animals) would be reduced. This is not necessary because I can always fix them in photoshop, it would just save me some time :).

Finally, I've been looking at some reviews at CNET, and the Powershot S30 looks nice, but has been discontinued, and she really doesn't need something like the S50.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It's going to be very hard, if not impossible, to find film SLR or DSLR level shutter lag in a cheap P&S camera. Using a P&S for wildlife photography is using the wrong tool for the job; I understand that many can't afford a DSLR + long lens (including myself), so we just have to accept that we're going to have to make compromises.

My advice is just to go into a camera store that will let you try out different models to see how fast they feel, and also (probably first, before doing the former so you'll have some idea what models you want to try) visit DPReview to read their measurements of the speed of various operations on cameras that meet your other requirements.

Get something like the Canon A70. Using the manual focus feature, you can reduce shutter lag to less than one second. Of course, you have to assume your subject are great than 20 feet or so away. Or, set it for 12 feet and take the almost focus for 5 to infinity that it gives you.

Anyway, a camera with a manual focus option will let you avoid the autofocus lag on a P&S.

David

Back