Calling Spaceman...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulioY

n00b
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
10
Come in, Spaceman.

OK, I have X-Fi Extreme Music running to a BBE 323SW (sonic maximizer & subwoofer controller) to a Yamaha M-35 amp. What type of DAC would really make a noticeable difference? I use MP3s exclusively, most at 320, some at 256, some at 192, and a few at 128. I am limited to either an analog input or USB. I want to spend as little as possible, but I'm open to any option around $300 or less. Thanks.

This question is open to anyone, not just Spaceman, but only if you've actually have firsthand experince with the unit, please. I don't mean you have to actually own one or have owned one, I mean actually having listened to one and noticed the difference yourself. Thanks!!
 
The KECES, no question.. Definatly a high end dac on a budget price. Also, a dedicated dac will usually sound better then amp/dac combo's unless you are willing to invest 2-3 times the amount of the KECES.
 
Thanks! :) Have you ever heard one? If you have, does it make almost $400 worth of difference (remember, I'm using MP3s)?
 
Whether you are using MP3 or lossleess doesn't matter as it is the sound signature of the DAC that is most important. Remember, most people fail to tell the differnece between a good quality mp3 and lossless. You can get neutral clinical sounding DAC like the one in the EMU 0404 USB or something with more warmth, I think Zero DAC is supposedly warmer sounding. Go read this forum for better info. There is lots of info there on DACs and best-bang-for-buck DAC etc. You can use the forum search function to find recommended DACs too. I use EMU 0404 USB as my external DAC and you can get one of those for about $200.00.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/
 
Only your ears can decide if it's worth 200 more. I had a modded March DAC, for 300. My 1.000 DACs offered a good upgrade over my march. The Spitfire DAC is 250 from fire audio.
 
Thanks! Didn't know about the Denon, Beresford TC-7510, or the Keces 151 model (just the 131). I like what I see about the Keces but can't find it for sale anywhere. I found the seller's info. on another forum, though and just sent him an email.
 
Ebay..You can also find a review link on his page. The new 131 has a upraded chip. The reviewer says it made a noticeable difference. The DAC is smooth, and doesn't seem to change the music..Meaning adding it's own flavor, so you get as close to the artist/game developer/directors intent.
 
How do you like it? Also, what kind of music do you listen to? Thanks.


It's good and is neutral and clinical sounding. I expect it will improve when I mate it to a tube amp coming this week as that will add some warmth. The headphone amp in it is not good for driving demanding headphones and is more suited to headphones like Sennheiser HD595. It was a good and cheap way to get clean audio out of my PC so no complaints.

I listen to all kinds of music, from classical and jazz to rock and electronic. I like darkwave the most though, Dead Can Dance, Nox Arcana etc.
 
I got a response last night--very quick! He told me the 151 has been discontinued and they're coming out with a new model (151mkII, I think) within a month or so that doesn't have the headphone amp. That's OK with me as I don't use headphones. The only thing that makes me hesitate a little is that they don't give refunds. I probably would like it, but buying without hearing first, especcially at almost $300 (w/shipping), it's just a little hmm... He stated that they'd rather focus their money on R&D than on doing refunds.
 
Sas thing is, you'll never find these in stores to audition. Every headphone, amp, DAC, I bought blindly.. Hi end headphones, headphone, amps, and DACs are only popular with headphone zealots..No Best Buy selling the Zero amp. The majority still doesn't know there are dedicated headphone amps..You should try pacificvalve.us, they import Chineese gear and offer a 30 day money back guarantee. They are legit and reputable. I'd recommend their Lite amp/DAC for 259.00. Retail is 400..Thank Chinese cheap labor.. I might get the modded version for 375.
 
Well, I've decided to hold off on the DAC and upgrade my speakers instead. As I wrote earlier, I do have the X-Fi Extreme Music.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top