Calling all NETWORK EXPERTS!!! Setting up a small office network & home network

pkieu81

n00b
Setting up a small office network & home network

Hello fellow hard forum members,
I’m a newbie and have little experience in setting up a small office and home network. I have searched many threads and tried many possible ways to setup a network, yet I can’t seem to get it working correctly. This may seem like a stupid question but can someone please help!

Here is what I am trying to do: Office Network
Setup a small office network of a total of 3 computers.
*(Computer A) main computer that is hooked up to a printer and has internet connection.
*(Computer B) another computer that will share the printer, documents and internet connection of computer A.
*(Laptop) will share internet connection, printer and documents from computer A.
(This laptop will be also used at home on my home network as well) Is this possible? Can my laptop be a part of an office network and when I take it home at night, can it also link to my home network?

Here is the setup:
**All computers already have a working network card; this will be a WIRED network here at the office.

Computer A – Windows 2000 Server OS
Computer B – Windows 2000 Server OS
Laptop – Windows XP Pro OS

Router: Linksys BEFSR41 V.2
DSL Modem: Speedstream 5100 Service by SBC
All Ethernet wires are currently hooked up to router

Here is where I am at so far:
**Computer A currently has internet connection and is sharing the printer and documents
**Computer B currently is sharing the internet connection, printer and documents of computer A. (Computer B seems to be hooked up to the network and working properly. Looks like I did something right! Computer B is linked to the network and sharing files and prints through computer A’s network.)
**Laptop is not able to connect to the network, yet I am able to connect to the internet through the router.

What must I do to get my laptop linked to my office network??

Home Network:
After that, I would like to link up my computers at home as well. How do I go about setting up my computers at home?
I will be running a main computer and 2 laptops. Both laptops have wireless Ethernet cards. And my main computer is connected to my router through an Ethernet wire. The main computer currently has internet connection and my laptops can connect to the internet as well; through the wireless connection.

Home Network Specs:
Cable Modem service by Comcast
Linksys Wireless Router BEFW11SR V.2
All home computers are running XP Pro OS

If there is any further information you need, please let me know.

I’m sorry if I missed a thread that was previously posted regarding network issues. Please help me with your expertise if possible. Thanks in advance!

2x computers..both running Windows 2000 Server? And they're being used like desktop computers? That's pretty expensive.

Is one of them running active directory, and the other a member server?

Guide to help with TCP setup on a domain behind a broadband router
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660

Yes a laptop can be a member of the domain, and be taken off the network...and still do a domain login..NT can cache the login credentials locally.

Back