Cable splitter

VeeDubbs

Limp Gawd
Hey guys -

Quick question. I have one cable outlet where I want both my xbox 360 and cable box. Will I experience any performance issues if I split that one outlet to both my cable box and cable modem?

Get yourself a decent Bi-directional splitter (coax cable right?) you will get a tad bit of signal loss, but its nothing to worry about really. Unless you have really crappy signal

any splitter degrades a signal, it just depends on how much.

if you get an amplifier (that is cable modem compatible) - you will boost your signal to the strength it was coming into your house.

i don't know if one split is even enough to make a difference. you could ask your cable provider for a splitter/amplifier. i use an electroline 8 port drop amp which boosts the signal coming into my house to 8 different tvs and a modem - but for you, it's probably overkill.

anyways, no, i don't think you'll notice a difference if you're splitting to just two devices.

Check the signal strength with your cable modem first. The nominal range for most modems is +5db to -15db. In my experience you never want your signal down below -7db. A typical splitter will drop the signal by about 3.5db. If that will drop your signal too low, you will need either to run better cable or get an amp.

A cable splitter will drop signal proportionally to the number of ports. a 2 port will cut signal in half, 4 port means each port gets 25% of orginal signal level.

Doesn't really matter until you do multiple splits, however.

I have so many splits at this house it isn't funny...

Splits around all over the place (not even sure where exactly- I can count at least 3 splitters off the top of my head throughout the attic).

Running 4 TVs and the Cable modem, no issues at all.

I agree- any splitter cuts it down. Just make sure all your connections are solid and you shouldn't have issues.

Ideally you want the Cable on the first split. Sometimes you can get away with a bunch of splits sometimes the signal is way to low to let it work properly.

I try to always put it on the first splitter.

Back