"Cable modem "Network Utilization" performance graph

Erau

Gawd
Hi all,

Is "Network Utilization" in Task Manager supposed to be showing how much bandwidth I'm using from the entire LAN for my neighborhood (node? or something) or just how much of my particular allotted bandwidth for my connection I'm using. The graph rarely if ever goes above 1% even when I'm downloading very large files.

Network Utilization is how much of the possible 12mbyte/s+ your network card is using. It is based on your networking speeds on your LAN, which includes your cable modem. It is not based on how many percent you are using of your network's node. The only time you would see high utilization on that graph is if you are transferring files over a LAN.

Your computer (what the Task Manager shows) has more bandwidth then your internet connection. So your not going to see to much utilization when using the internet.

Most common broadband internet connections are 1.5Mbps - 2Mbps in speed. Your network card runs at 100Mbps. With this if you are seeing a 1% utilization you have achived full speed at the modem.

Back