Cable Internet and TV

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey,
I've got cable TV, and (as of right now) ADSL. I have a wireless router, and my family room is the best place I want to put it. Due to some attractive promotion in my area, I wish to switch to Cable Internet. Is it possible to split the cable so that one goes to my TV and the other goes to the cable modem? Would that cause interference? Has anyone tried it? I don't want to move my router anywhere else...

Generally speaking, the cable internet provider will want a "direct route" to the cable modem... but if they put a splitter on the line and it goes to the TV and to the modem, and it satisfies their signal strength requirements, then they probably wouldn't have a problem with it...

In my case, the cable guy ran another line under our house since I had a crappy signal in my bedrooms... once he left, I put a splitter on this new "direct route" and took one line to my modem and the other line a split again to each of my TVs.... infinately better cable reception and no problems with the cable modem to day....

Keep on Folding!!

KevC said:
Hey,
I've got cable TV, and (as of right now) ADSL. I have a wireless router, and my family room is the best place I want to put it. Due to some attractive promotion in my area, I wish to switch to Cable Internet. Is it possible to split the cable so that one goes to my TV and the other goes to the cable modem? Would that cause interference? Has anyone tried it? I don't want to move my router anywhere else...

With the exception of wired instead of wireless you just described my setup.
Should work without a problem.

I'm not normally hooked up like this, but I did exactly what you're trying to do during a LAN party in my living room. That cable hook up is probably 20 years old or more and using the splitter it got a great signal and I still got my full line speeds. If you have a problem getting a good signal you could always have your modem in the spot by the good connection and run a network cable down to your wireless access point or also just have the access point by your cable modem and have another access point that acts as a second one to englare your signal.

Back