• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

C2Q vs I7 950 Benchmarks

demingo

Trump is My President!
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Messages
2,702
I just picked up a new I7 setup today for my video encoding rig. But with all the discussion going on about CPU performance, bottlenecking, and scaling I decided I should do some quick and dirty benchmarks. I will be using a Radeon 5870 1GB for all tests. This isn't meant to be a scientific test. However, I'm sure several of you like me wonder what it does to go from a C2Q to a 950 for gaming on the same videocard. I am really curious to see in person how the C2Q is holding up.

The C2Q is a Q6700@3.2ghz. The I7 950 overclock is unknown as I still need to build and stress test the rig over the next couple days. Aiming for 3.6-4ghz which seems standard for these chips. So what do you guys wanna see benchmarked? If I have them, I'll test.

Right now the list is:

3D Mark Vantage
SiSoft Sandra
Unigine Heaven 2.1
AvP
Resident Evil 5
CoD Black Ops
World of Warcraft
Starcraft 2
 
Q6700 vs i7 950 is not a fair fight, imo. Q9550/Q9650 is much better choice if you want to demonstrate how C2Q will fair against a i7.

In Vantage and Sandra, I really see no point because i7 will wipe the old Q6700 clean. I see the core i7 winning handily in SC2, Black Ops, and probably lead all the rest by a good margin as well.
 
Q6700 vs i7 950 is not a fair fight, imo. Q9550/Q9650 is much better choice if you want to demonstrate how C2Q will fair against a i7.

In Vantage and Sandra, I really see no point because i7 will wipe the old Q6700 clean. I see the core i7 winning handily in SC2, Black Ops, and probably lead all the rest by a good margin as well.

Fair fight or not.. its the hardware I have. :) Sandra/Vantage are just more curiosity. Overall I expect the I7 to mop up but I still think it'll be interesting to see what it does.
 
If you want, you can put the i7 at 3.2GHz so they will be at the same speed, and we can see the improvements clock for clock of the i7 over the Core 2.
 
As a Q6600 owner with a friend who just plunged into an i7 930/X58 system I'm incredibly interested, I've been following the other threads that are similar to this, I'm probably just waiting for Sandy Bridge, but will make that decision when I see them about whether to just wait for Sandy Bridge-E at that point.
 
If you want, you can put the i7 at 3.2GHz so they will be at the same speed, and we can see the improvements clock for clock of the i7 over the Core 2.

Also need to keep in mind that not all core2s quads at the same speed are created equal
 
Damn shame you don't have a Q9550, but still really looking forward to your results. Maybe toss GTA IV and Bad Company 2 in the mix? :D
 
Damn shame you don't have a Q9550, but still really looking forward to your results. Maybe toss GTA IV and Bad Company 2 in the mix? :D

Bad company 2 I can do. Don't own GTA IV.

Finishing up the last q6700 test tonights. Been a hectic week. 950 system being built tomorrow. Results to follow.
 
The canned and synthetic benches will show you some impressive gains.

However, with the I7 and Core2 quad computers in my sig, I see almost no difference in playable settings in the majority of actual games at 1080p or above with a single 5870. I believe that might change in a multi gpu set up, but I have never bothered to test it.
 
If you wouldn't mind giving this a go on both platforms and posting the results I'd be grateful:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=520

Since you've stated the new build is going to be used for some video encoding, this will be the best test of that performance level.

Pretty simple operation (make sure you're not loading the machine with other stuff, of course). Download the zip, run the batch file, save the results, pretty much done. It takes a 1280x720 MPEG2 fairly decent bitrate video clip and encodes it h.264 using the x264 encoder in several passes and offers the results.

Also, there's a note on the page which is easy to miss so here it is:

Important - If you are using an Intel Core i7 or Core i5 processor (or their Xeon brethren), please be sure to turn off Intel Turbo Mode in the BIOS for accurate results!

Thanks...
 
Just Casue 2 Demo has a benchmark mode. It's readily available through Steam. I've found that it uses a fair bit of both the CPU and GPU. Should be a good test to add. I've got a 5870 along with a Q6600 OCed... I'd be curious how your i7 compares
 
I should be good with the below rig in sig? I'm thinking of even skipping sandy bridge... I want the next jump to be at least 50% improvement....
 
I should be good with the below rig in sig? I'm thinking of even skipping sandy bridge... I want the next jump to be at least 50% improvement....

Happy is all a matter of perspective and what you use it for.

Your rig will run most games fine, you just might have to lower a setting here or there.

I upgraded mainly because I have been doing a lot of video editing/transcoding lately and just needed the extra power. Gaming improvements will just be a side benefit.
 
I upgraded to an X3440, AsRock P55 Extreme and 8GB for $300 and I couldn't be happier with the improvements over my old Q6600.
 
Back
Top