[C++] Good Win32 API tutorial.

c0rrupt

Weaksauce
I've looked all over the net but I can't find a good Win32 API tutorial that goes from creating a blank window to a small and simple application, such as something with a few buttons, text boxes, etc. Does anyone know of any good ones?

It's tough to find good tutorials on the raw Win32 API. I used http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/ during the beginnings, but then got disappointed in the lack of good tutorials on the internet. So I went out and bought Programming Windows: The Definitive Guide to the Win32 API by Charles Petzold, and it's actually a really good reference book. I haven't really touched it much since I picked up a C# for Experienced Programmers, but if I decide to go the Windows route again (minus the .NET Framework) I'd probably go with MFC.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I second petzold, great, indepth, to the point. As for MFC im not sure if there is anything great online, but for direct winapi you cant beat the book.

well most tutorials would probably be written in straight GDI but seeing that GDI is being dumped for the next version of windows you should probably try using one of the latest dev kits for Avalon or whatever the hell its called.

The new stuff for longhorn is called WinFX, which looks like a mess of c++ classes. Not sure if avalon on xp means WinFX on xp, but who knows.

Back