Bying Procurve V1810G or E2520G

P

Pecka-

Hello!
I'm gonna move around my network equipment in my small apartment, and also do some rewire. I came to the point where I need an additional switch to reduce excessive cable dragging.

Have done a lot of research and decided I want a HP or Dell switch.

My requirements:
Fanless design is a must (switch will stand in my bedroom)
8+ ports all gigabit speed
Should run 24/7 stable
Have to like being plugged into a Zywall USG-20

So it came down to these switches:

V1810G:
+ Not much more expensive than V1410G. Seems like a bargain actually.
+ Web managed
+ Only 15W
- People have complained about software quirks (NTP, DHCP.)

E2520-8G:
+ Much more manage options
+ Layer 2
+ PoE
+ Stability/durability maybe?
- Much more expensive but still not Cisco $$
- Draws more power

A possible option is also:

Dell Powerconnect 2808
+ Seems comparable performance wise to V1810G
+ Integrated PSU
+ More managable than V1810 (CLI etc)
- A bit higher price than V1810 here in Sweden
- Not as good warranty

Suggestions much appreciated.

For what it sounds like you need the 1810G series will do everything you want. For things like basic VLANs, jumbo frames, LAG/LACP, and being super reliable / having probably the best warranty I have ever seen for switches, you can't go wrong.

I don't remember ever using any Dell switches but haven't had any issues with Procurve. They work just fine as access layer switches.

If your in the mood for a hunt im using the J9028B which is a Pro Curve 24port Gig switch with layer 2 web management
its fairly nice and fits all of you requirements
the only catch is that they stopped making them a few months ago so the warranty *only* last 5 more years.
And also that your stuck with a used one which hasn't been a problem for me, and HP doesn't seem to care if your original owner or not

Thanks people! Good to hear you're happy with your 1810 switches. It seems like a good choice. The reason I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet is stuff that are discussed in the links below:

Thread at small netbuilder

Some complaints from a network guy

From the same guy where he doesn't think that highly about the 1810

I understand that some of this should be sorted out by firmware upgrades, and some is probably nitpicking but no internal clock seems a bit odd? :confused:

To Topherhead: Thanks! Will consider that one too. :)

The concerns listed don't really apply to a "home" environment. Personally I'm a "Cisco guy" primarily but that doesn't mean there is no room in the world for lower end equipment.

First: SNTP/clock issues only really apply when you have centralized event (syslog) monitoring and need to have time sync'd across your entire environment for event correlation and forensics. SNTP is relatively worthless anyway in this regard since it is not a fully featured NTP client/server and does not have the advanced error checking that can keep time within 1ms consistently.

Second: Switches and routers are always a second choice to run DHCP services. They never have all the features fully implemented anyway so if you really need robust DHCP you should have a dedicated server for this. edit: and who uses DHCP on a management interface anyway, lazy much?

Third: STP is not needed in a home environment. You should be able to wire your home into a loop-free topology so running it won't be necessary. You're not running a campus with end-to-end VLANs and layer 2 everywhere after all.

Sure you can buy a better switch, but you're going to be paying more... If you want "everything" buy a Cisco 2960G-8, or 24, or whatever and plonk down $800-$1500. An older 3550-12t will run you about $500ish.

Last edited:
You're overthinking this. For the money the 1810 can't be beat. Who uses DHCP to assign switch IPs? Do you care it takes a few mins to sync with NTP? Do you really care about HTTPS management in your apartment?

You are right guys. My apartment is not exactly a campus. ;)
I'm convinced now the 1810 is the right choice. Will order it tonight!

Thanks for all input!

Back