Buying a Eee PC Overseas, Warranty etc. Issues?

Vode

n00b
Short version: Is an Eee PC bought in the US covered in Australia under warranty and would there be any other issues with this?

I got my first in person look at an Eee PC today and was very interested, problem is here in Australia Myer has an exclusive on it at the moment and is selling the 4G model for $499AUD... Now the Australian Dollar is quite close to the US Dollar right now and my girlfriend's going to be in the US in a month, so I figure while she's there she might be able to pick up the 8G model for only a bit more than we'd get the 4G here...

Question: If she purchases the 8G model in America do you guys know if it'd still be covered by warranty etc. once it's brought back here to Australia?
And does anyone know if there'd be any sort of taxes/fees/unforseen misfortunes that may surround this action that I am not aware of but someone here is?

It would likely be covered under warranty, but it would need to be shipped back to the states, and you'd be taking a big bet on whether or not Asus would be able/willing to ship it back to Oz. From my experience, most companies will not ship out of country for warranty work, especially to countries that have their a local branch there. IIRC, a few people have had issues with EeePCs from Taiwan--there's effectively no warranty service for those people grabbed one off eBay from there. I fear you may be better off picking one up locally. Your best bet is it try getting in touch with Asus in Australia to see if they would honor the U.S. warranty (extremely unlikely), and if not, try contacting the U.S. branch and see if you would be able to get it exchanged in case of issues.

And oh yeah, I got my Eee yesterday afternoon. It kicks ass :D

Thanks for the reply.

Something someone brought up to me as a potential issue was whether the charger would work over here on our different voltage and frequency (can buy an adaptor for the plug, but would it run correctly), would this also be an issue?

It's looking like it may just be easier to spend the extra and buy it here at this point... Or wait for it's exclusivity to drop and hopefully the price drop too (if that happens).

Back