Buyer bent CPU pins on brand new sealed motherboard - wants return - what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Sold a new mining motherboard on eBay with intent of profit.

The buyer filed a return - states it didn't work.

I reply through eBay channels - It was new retail, sealed, but sometimes DOA happens. If this is a case of that I'm happy to refund his money. But if he physically damaged it, then I'll not accept the return.

He replies saying he wanted to know if I could give him the receipt so he could work through the ASUS RMA process because he needed it fast! (that makes no sense? - ASUS RMA is notoriously bad and slow)

I told him sure, but he shouldn't have to work through ASUS RMA if it's just DOA. I'll give him the money back and return it to the store I bought it from under the 30 day window. (so long as it isn't physically damaged)

Days later he says he wants to pursue the return. I again warn him that I won't accept the return if it's physically damaged the motherboard, but tell him to ship it back and I'll make it right otherwise. All this communication occurred through the ebay channels (recorded and viewable by ebay).

This is how the board arrives:
upload_2018-1-17_17-43-5.png

I file a dispute with eBay stating the buyer ruined the board and the return request should be forfeit (Asus won't accept RMA for bent pins, and I wouldn't consider bringing it back to the store with damaged pins from a user install -- on a board I was intending to sell for a profit. I've no ethical problem selling the mining board for a nice profit to a willing buyer, but I'm not a scumbag trying to take advantage of the retailer or manufacturer -- both who did nothing wrong. I guess if eBay sides with the buyer I'll just dispose of it, or I guess I could try to sell it as damaged, for parts only.

I've not run into this before? What happens next? From eBay's perspective either party could be lying. Complicating the matter, we both have great feedback - Me 468 - 100% positive, him 118 - 100% positive. I know they side with the buyer typically - but man!!! - this was brand new sealed, retail box - no way those pins shipped like that.

I suspect the 3 day lack of communication with the nonsense story about wanting to work through ASUS RMA for speed's sake was exhausting the possibility he could work out an RMA with ASUS, so when they declined, then he decided to pursue the return with me, to see if he could get eBay to side with him.

grrrrrr.

Him:
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=donatfra

Me:
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=archaeantrader

If I could verify the buyer didn't intentionally mislead or try to screw me here, I wouldn't be opposed to just telling him to cover my actual cost on the motherboard and shipping expenses for his mistake, and just refund him the profit to help him out. Why? Because while my goal was to make money on the sale, I don't want that at the expense of an honest mistake on the other side? Worse is if he didn't know he did it, and doesn't believe he did it. (putting the shoe on the other foot.?.?) Though, I don't know how someone could do that without knowing they did it??? --- unless he is just incompetent, or lacks basic knowledge on how to build a PC. The guy said he has other mining rigs he's built using this same motherboard, but he didn't mention in any of our communication that the CPU pins were bent, nor give that as the reason he couldn't get it to work.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you are probably going to get screwed over by ebay for the buyer's negligence

I manage to win an ebay dispute recently.

Main thing the ebay rep was looking from me that I was responding to the buyer often and "trying" to look like I was attempting to resolve the issue with the buyer.

After some weeks I called ebay and he closed the case in my favor.

Best of luck man.

You're screwed, welcome to eBay :)

The weight is all on the buyer's side. I haven't sold anything on there in years because of this crap. The only people using eBay sell in bulk because they have to factor in dishonest asshats that try to screw them every week.

that sucks. I guess in the future, it can't hurt to request a photo of the board showing socket and serial # prior to them shipping the return back. Good luck.

Good luck, but this is not the proper venue for this.... so thread closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back