Buy Now Or Wait?

Banana King

Weaksauce
Just wondering if I should buy a CPU now (a E6850 or Q6600, probably, but possibly a 6000+ or a 6400+) or simply wait until the new ones are released towards the end of 2007 and the beginning of 2008. I'm currently in the process of pricing out system components on NewEgg for what will become primarily a gaming pc, and am trying not to exceed $1500 (for the entire system). I'm not completely sure whether to turn to either Intel or AMD for the purchase, but my decision will certainly be impacted by the new benchmarks. I guess I want to know if there are any striking differences between the performance in Intel's E6850 and Q6600, if I should turn to AMD instead, or just wait until the new CPUs are released by both brands.

Any information would be appreciated.

*Edit* Sorry if this thread seems a bit like the one below, I just noticed it as I posted this one.

I'm waiting for the new Quads and Duals in 45nm (the affordable ones).
Their going to be star overclockers and fairly cheap.

I'd have to say that right now Intel is the obvious choice for a new rig, considering all their current and future offers.

well it depends whether the potential for a better overclock is worth waiting till january for you

if you get the q6600 for $300 now you might get to 3.5 or 3.6, if you wait till january for a q9450 for $316, you might have trouble with the 8x multiplier (500fsb for 4000mhz ouch)

The 45nm chips are only slightly more efficient clock for clock than the 65nm chips... I'd say get the q6600 with the 9x multi if you have any current need

Personally I'm happy with my e6600 and will wait till nehalem :)

Back