Burn of the Year goes to....

EricNS

Limp Gawd
Intel, when challenged by AMD to a dual core server shoot out, their quick respone was(taken from forbes.com):

Otellini addressed its smaller competitor, Advanced Micro Devices (nyse: AMD), which today took out full page ads in national newspapers to challenge Intel to a "dual core duel" to see whose chips are faster. Said Otellini, declining the opportunity to attack, "I think that companies and products are best judged in the marketplace."

Like touching a p4 in your motherboard, this was the hottest burn of the year.

Hmmm. Quite witty of Otellini to say since a majority of server manufacturers install that slow intel stuff in the first place.... :p

I think AMD has less market share because most buyers don't have a choice to go with them. Big companies have purchase contracts with these server manufacturers and usually go with what is suggested because of a discount to make it seem like a good deal.

And for the fact that AMD Opterons have only really been offered in ready-to-run high end servers for the past couple/few years for the manufacturers that do offer them.

Everyone that knows tech knows the AMD dual core solutions crushes Intels. AMD scored points by making the challenge. Either way, they would win. For those who DONT know tech but know business, they see Intels response as big giant fat "OWNED!" - Intel still has marketshare and user acceptance.

Some things aren't worthy of a new topic. It just seems like "LISTEN TO ME!" to not post this in those "duel" threads. It was the expected Intel response, and new replies sound just like those in the other threads as well. The AMD wins either way idea for instance, I've read that before somewhere. It could of course not be avoided by me either :"Burn of the year?" who doesn't want to know what that is? Though I feel few agree that's true. edit: That this is the burn of the year.

texuspete00 said:
Some things aren't worthy of a new topic. It just seems like "LISTEN TO ME!" to not post this in those "duel" threads. It was the expected Intel response, and new replies sound just like those in the other threads as well. The AMD wins either way idea for instance, I've read that before somewhere. It could of course not be avoided by me either :"Burn of the year?" who doesn't want to know what that is? Though I feel few agree that's true.
I agree that it's true.

But keeping face with my previous post: Server manufacturers appear to be pushing intel towards buyers more than they do AMD, regardless of the fact that AMD performs better, runs cooler, draws less power, and generally has a lower TCO than the comparable intel-based offerings.

AMD is struggling in the Business Enterprise market, that much is apparent. I think that going public with the challenge will be good for them in the long run, regardless of what is said in retort. To a business, nothing could be more profitable than having your products sell more due to free advertising and a positive boost in PR.

I just thought it was funny/witty that he would say that. More so if they lose the lawsuit.

Back