Built new PC, BSOD!!

Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
3
Ok, so I picked up a barebone kit for my friend off mwave.com. It included a case with a cheapy I think 500 or 550w PS, MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 motherboard, AMD Athlon X2 245 chip, Kingston valueram. Everything was already assembled and all it needed was a hard drive so I put in a 500GB new hard drive.

The only thing I did was take off the CPU they installed, put some Arctic 5 thermal paste on it and sealed everything back down. I loaded a fresh copy of Windows 7 on it, and it worked totally fine for 3-5 days, and then we keep getting the BSOD.

The computer will start to boot, but like as soon as the Windows logo disappears, a BSOD appears. While monkeying with it, it was also rebooting and rebooting again before anything could happen. I wiped out Windows and loaded fresh, it started to copy files, but then again, BSOD. Sometimes the BSOD would be different, but generally it was

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or something like that.

The machine is not overclocked. I am under the impression that if BSOD is coming on after a fresh install, it's something with the hardware (which is all new). I also tried putting the RAM in another slot, but same thing.

Would a faulty power supply cause a BSOD? I remember it was rebooting on it's own. The other thing I thought of was the Kingston ram chip? Maybe it's bad? Maybe I'll try and run a mem test on it if I can.

Any ideas? My friend is sick of his old ass computer and this one was working fine for about 4 days before BSODs. I've built many computers before, never had any problems until this one.
 
I would say that the RAM is faulty, try a different stick if possible.
 
I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure I tried updating the BIOS....

There is no pretty sure about updating your bios. You know when you update your bios because its always a little nerve racking.

Bad ram is a very very common issue, and that BSOD pertains to something running-a-muck in the memory hierarchy. You should try swapping in some different ram if you can, or trying each of the sticks separately.
 
Before you assume it's bad ram make sure that the timing and voltage of the ram is configured properly (manually) in the BIOS. Also, make sure that AHCI is off (aka make sure the system is in native IDE mode). Disconnect all extraneous USB and SATA devices to eliminate them as variables. This could almost as easily be a hard disk controller problem as a memory problem. A good old fashioned bios reset might help, who knows. Also remember it could still be the power supply...
 
Yep. It was the RAM. I forgot I had some OCZ reaper in my rig that isn't ready yet. I hope Kingston will replace it. I know it has a lifetime warranty but I am not sure if we still have the receipt....


Thanks all
 
You shouldn't need a receipt for a Kingston RMA. I RMA'd some stuff with them last year, and did not need a receipt.
 
Most places say you need a receipt online but if you actually talk to them they don't really care (most of the time). Can't really pirate hardware like you can software. I rma'ed an antec psu, the form said to include a receipt but I forgot but they still sent me back a new psu.
 
Typically, if a receipt is required, its mainly needed for parts that may be out of warranty. If the part you're RMA'ing has only been in production for 2 yrs, and it comes with a 3yr warranty, they won't care about the receipt. However, if you bought the thing less than 3yrs ago, and it's been in production for 4yrs but comes with a 3yr warranty, thats when they usually take a quick glance at the receipt. ;)
 
Back
Top