Building new system - what next?

M

mfm

I have finally gotten around to replacing one of our old PCs (P3-450/Win98) with a P2.4C on a P4P800 Deluxe running Win2K SP3. I have successfully installed the hardware, installed Win2K SP3, the updated MB drivers, and the driver software for the Radeon 9500. I am Internet'ing on the PC with this post.

Before I start installing the apps I need for this PC, what should I do next? I recall reading a post describing just this very thing for Win2X/WinXP, but I can't find it (I thought it was a sticky). The obvious ones are SP4, the MS updates (security patches and such), and DirectX9 (I have 8.1 now).

Does anyone know of the post I am speaking of? If the post has been deleted, would anyone mind relisting the suggested installs and their order. Thanks! :)

Well, it wasn't a sticky post, but I believe this is post I was thinking about:

just bought new computer

This is a quote from the second post on that thread, which the few that responded seemed to be in agreement about (one offerred that the video card drivers be last):

If you are doing a fresh install of the OS, this is the order I would do stuff in.

-Install Windows
-Install Mobo integrated peripheral Drivers
-Install Vid-Card Drivers
-Install Service Packs and other updates
-Install DX 9b

After this it doesn't really matter
Well, it looks like I have followed this order exactly for the first 3 items. I am going to perform the last 2 items in the order stated and be done with it.

This would have been a lot easier with the search function working! :)

may wanna install a firewall and antivirus.
The antivirus will be added after DX9. I was using my Linksys router as a firewall for my other 2 PCs, both with Win98. Does Win2K require more, for example Zone Alarm?

I wouldn't just entrust your comps in the router's firewall. Slap on copys of Zone Alarm to get maximum protection. All you need is the freeware copy. Excellent firewall.

Back