Building new computer, XP install question...

Okay, I'm putting a new computer together and giving my father my old one. My issue is that I want to get my new computer up and running while keeping my current C drive intact (IDE with XP). By intact I mean, I want to install XP on a new SATA drive (I understand I can slipstream both SP2 and SATA drivers with my XP disc) and later put my current C drive as like a secondary drive so I can get to the data.

My question is, will this be ok with the XP install process? I've never renistalled in the four years I had it so I'm not sure what'll happen. Basically, I want to get the new computer (new chip, mb, drives, new everything but hard drives) running and stable before "abandoning" my current C drive with it's XP install. So just in case there are major issues I can revert back to my old system as I didn't nuke the current C drive with the XP install.

I assume there is no issue with making my current c drive a secondary drive as long as I boot from the SATA one and it runs that new XP. So I should just see that IDE drive as only data and it doesn't matter if that data happens to be an XP install, right?

How does the XP install process handle reinstalls-multiple installs? I've looked into it and from how I understand it if I go and reinstall my XP on a new (second) computer I only have three days after which I MUST activate it if I want to continue using it. Then that second install will be locked out, right? But the original one will be okay? I assume that's what'd happen but my concern is that it is in fact only three days.

I understand there is a 120 day XP-64bit trial that I could use instead, but I rather use my XP home to go through the process and make sure everything is stable as that's what I'll actually be using. I know I am only allowed to run one copy of XP, but I'm just not clear on how I go about building a new system using only one copy of XP.

So to sum up, I want a fresh, completely different install of XP while making sure my old one (for a totally different system and hardware) will still be functioning (for how long?) just in case there is a major issue and I can revert to the old install on the old motherboard etc. I guess the thing to do would be to get another copy of XP, but I'm not sure if I'm going that route with the system I'll give away.

The best approach here is to grab a cheap OEM version of XP Pro from NewEgg. These are up to SP2 now, so the install shouldn't pose a problem. You can run a clean install from ground zero that way, and Microsoft's not going to hassle you.

If your aim is to transfer the XP Home build, there are a few options. The first involves calling up Microsoft on the telephone and telling them what you want to do. They should be sympathetic, assuming you've told them that the older machine will not have that copy of XP Home running in it.

Another way around this little problem is to ghost (e.g. using Symantec Ghost software) the contents of the old drive over to the new drive. Preferably, you'd want to do that as follows:

1) Build your rig with your old HDD drive.
2) Fire the thing up - if you're lucky, you'll be asked to install new drivers to replace the old ones from your older setup. If not, you'll have to uninstall in Safe Mode (check back if you don't know what that means).
3) Make sure you have SATA drivers installed. Call the motherboard manufacturer if you don't know for sure.
4) Get a bootable MS-DOS floppy disk. Images are available at www.bootdisk.com.
5) Assuming you have a copy of Symantec (Norton Ghost), get the critical executable files copied to a floppy disk drive. Make a second FDD of the same files as a backup. Then go into your BIOS and set your motherboard to look for the FDD as the first boot drive.
6) Install your new SATA HDD. Make sure the drive is detected by the OS.
7) Restart the system with the floppy installed and a bootable system diskette in the drive. After reaching the command prompt, enter the Ghost program and follow the instructions from there.
8) After the Ghost operation is complete, do not allow the PC to restart. Switch it off at the PS if necessary. Open the box & remove the old HDD. Restart with the new one.

If all goes well, you should be working from the new HDD, with the old one available for the older computer. I recommend reformat / installation of Open SuSE 10.2 on the older machine, for avoidance of tricky legal situations, but to each his own.

Thanks for the detailed process kunsunoke. I guess I'll just purchase another XP then. Is there any reason why you suggest I purchase XP Pro? I see you get an upgrade coupon, which I assume XP Home only gets you Vista Home Basic and not Premium while XP Pro gets you Vista Business.

Back