Building an invisible PC

I watched this. I like the idea, but I felt his execution some flaws.

He made the inner area 44mm in height, which was seemed like the root of a lot of problems. The heatsink on the CPU was too tall, forcing the odd cutout piece. The 1U PSU was essentially guaranteed to be noisy, but he wasn't willing to build *it* a pop-out section so he could use a standard SFX PSU or something.

And his cooling routed air 'up through' both the GPU heatsink and the CPU heatsink; had they been fully enclosed he could have passed air through and out the back or something rather than forcing the air out downwards awkwardly where his legs go.

Plus it used over $500 worth of fans; since he was forced to cut ventilation intakes on the bottom anyways, he could have air intake using 120mm fans that were laid flat and his forced airflow path would have worked just as well, but for significantly less money and likely quieter as well under load.

Very nifty, but also somewhat ill conceived feeling in the end.

yeah I agree, the finished product def looks great from afar but with all that effort, skill, and equipment, the sum seems less than its parts.
the end result overall is a very cool effect though, I'm a sucker for clean/hidden cable management.

The Node 202 is as thin/cheap as I'd expect gaming-capable system to be, but I would rather go with a larger box ITX (easier to swap parts into.)

Back