Building an HTCP system with a very limited budget, suggestions?

Im pretty new to HTPCs and Ive been reading this forum ever since the [H] came back up.

So I have around $600 to spend and all I really want my HTPC to do is to function like a TiVo and for DivX/XviD play. I dont have an HDTV so something with DVI is not needed.

I want one of those nice cases that make it actually look a piece of a/v equipment. Also a remote is required as well. I wont be doing any gaming at all so thats not a problem, let me add that I would need a sound card with digital coaxial out. I would also need some kind of card (AGP/PCI???) that would have component video output. Are there any inexpensive video cards that have that?

Any suggestions? or should I save a couple more bucks?

Also if it were to work like a PVR, where would it get the info know when to record the program I want it to? Is there a program for that?

Awesome post CrimandEvil, thanks a lot. Basically, I just need my HTPC to play my XviDs and work as a PVR. I should read that FAQ, shouldnt I? :p

Thanks for the awesome response.

Does the 710 have a digi coax out? I thought it only had optical, I hope it does have coax as I need a good soundcard to replace my use of onboard optical for now.

Thanks, I have read the links and am aware of most of the cards out there. The main reason for wanting coax was so I could free up an optical input on my reciever. In the theater that wont be such a big deal so I may just get one of them to test out.

When capturing video, is there anyway possible to capture using component cables instead of coaxial cables?

Im afraid that coaxial cables wont capture video that well, or will it do fine? Im looking at the Hauppage line of cards BTW.

Im sorry, I actually meant composite cables in my previous post.

CrimandEvil, have you captured using composite cables? If so, how good would you say the quality is from its original broadcast?

Suppose to be pretty good, I have two 250 MCEs that should be here tomorrow or so So I'll hook something up and see. If you use the 250 series cards then it will be encoded into MPEG2 so it'll should look pretty good.

If you didn't care about the case, you could get a nice one for pretty cheap.
Pick up this Dell PowerEdge 400SC for ~$350 after rebates, put a PVR-250 (~$125), 512mb of ram (~$90), a SB live (~$40) in and use Linux with MythTV for free. You'd be set!
That'd come out to around $600 for a pretty good setup.

Back