Building a Server

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
I like the setup, but have you thought about using a couple of 2xx Opterons? Someone may have mentioned it...I can't read very well right now, being New Year's Eve and all ;)

Yeah, two Opterons would sure be damn fast. :p The RAM would have to be returned for the Crucial ECC Registered RAM though. It might be a bit less expensive to go with AMD MP instead of Opterons, though. :) The Opterons would last a lot longer, too, performance wise. :)

Originally posted by freecableguy
Make the PSU a PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 510 (check out www.pcpowercooling.com for the exact specification needed for the MB that you want).

sorry but i couldent recommend a $200 PSU... maybe a 500 watt antec or a large capacity enermax... but PCP&C just seems like a rip

on the bright side they have pinouts for weird mobo connectors, which let me make this CompUSSR 500Watt PSU work on my tyan 2462... its running dual axp 2000+'s 1.5gb ram, 3x 7200rpm IDE disks, 1x 15k scsi, cdrw, dvdrw, ide controller, gige fiber nic, lots of fans, pair of ccfls, noritake 800a vfd etc

psu seems fine, but i put a bigger fan in, the one that came with it really sucked...

I'm building myself a server as well. Not as 1337 as yours, but it'll work for me. It's a 2.0ghz Celly on an Asus board, 512mb pc2100 RAM, 30gb system drive, 120gb storage, and 8mb Rage video (who needs good graphics on a server?) Its just going to be used as a fileserver and a game server for LANs. May put an Apache server on it too.

Argh, from the looks of everyone's opinion of the RAM I'd be safer to return it even if it does work. That and the PSU are the only real concerns I've got.
I'd like to have gone with the Opterons, but the budget I was on kind of prevented that.
The case is pretty huge so I'm hoping cooling won't be too much of a problem.
I'd also like to add more storage, but SCSI costs $ and I don't really need it (did I just say that?!). I like the PC Power and Cooling but if this PSU doesn't cut it I'll get a Antec True.
(Antec 430W Power Supply, Model "TRUE430" -RETAIL
Price: $71.00). I hate returning stuff because it takes forever.
Thanks.

Back