• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Building a semi WoW only PC

to me the cost of an SSD for the little amount of space you get just doesnt make me want to buy one.

I understand where you're coming from, and somewhat agree with you, but I will say this: when you play WoW on an SSD for the first time, there's a good chance you might shit yourself. Needless to say, you'll never want to go back to a slow mechanical HDD again. If you can afford it, try to spring for a 120 or 160 GB SSD for your OS and WoW, and get a 1TB HDD (which can be had for under $100) for your music/video/etc.
 
well if i buy a 160gb SSD or even a 120gb SSD then I wouldnt need a mech drive at all. All i do is play games period. I do NOT listen to music, watch movies or anything. I will think about an SSD im going to search the Hard sales first for a good deal
 
well if i buy a 160gb SSD or even a 120gb SSD then I wouldnt need a mech drive at all. All i do is play games period.

Then all the better reason to get an SSD. You're worried about 10% performance differences from CPU's and GPU's, yet you don't mind a much greater loss by using an mechanical hard drive? I know they're a little expensive, but they're totally worth it- especially for games like WoW.
 
Thanks for all the recommendations

anyways I went on a few [H] Reviews on this & decided to get a Different Mobo

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI - With Promo Code it was 89.99 Shipped: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

[H] gave it a Gold Award and Kyle had nothing bad to say at all. Thanks for the Help Today was much appreciated. WIll get picks up when I can

been out of town so I jsut saw this.. This is a good mobo, except its not really suitable for Xfire since the 2nd PCIe slot runs at 4x. I Cant see paying for a board with a 2nd slot thats all but worthless.

as far as SSD goes also look around to see what you can find in the 60-80gb range & consider doing a raid 0. I have 2x 80GB intel x18m's (g1) in raid 0 on my Phenom setup & I must say its WAY fast. Also cost me a total of 375 between the 2 drives for 160gb (ish) space.
 
I chose the board based on a Single card GPU & based on the Hard Review. I sold my 5770 so I also chose that board so I can use the 4200GFX until I can save a tad bit more and im going to snag a 5870. I dont really see the need to use Crossfire at the moment.

I have 3 difference monitors. x2 are 1920x1080 and the other is 1600x900. So i think a single 5850 or 5870 will be just fine for these resolutions. I also only paid 89.99 for the board with the sale they had last week.
 
Last edited:
ok so I got all the stuff on Friday for my build but I havent been able to get to it due to having to work this weekend. Here is a short story of how the parts arrived. UPS lady pulls up & starts to walk up the stairs then..

All I hear is Tumbling. The UPS Lady fell down about 16 Steel/Concrete stairs at my complex thus dropping all my stuff. Thus my stuff falling all the way with her. Not sure if anything is broken since the f3 500 is a mech drive. Will let you guys know tomorrow when I get home
 
Last edited:
ok so I got all the stuff on Friday for my build but I havent been able to get to it due to having to work this weekend. Here is a short story of how the parts arrived. UPS lady pulls up & starts to walk up the stairs then..

All I hear is Tumbling. The UPS Lady fell down about 16 Steel/Concrete stairs at my complex thus dropping all my stuff. Thus my stuff falling all the way with her. Not sure if anything is broken since the f3 500 is a mech drive. Will let you guys know tomorrow when I get home

Ouch.. Is she OK?
 
Back
Top