• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Building a new system (help needed)

bzchanboy

n00b
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Messages
28
I'm looking to get in the 64bit world and i've only got a certain amount of money to pay to get into the club. I've got around 600 bucks for a CPU, Motherboard, and Graphics card. I would also like to get into PCI-X. And was thinking about getting GF 6600gt. I plan on getting ram and some other items later. Gotta save up for some of that


But first i have a few questions.

I noticed that the AMD 64 (939) 3000 and 3200 seem to be in my range. But one seems to do better over the other. Why is it i read more about the 3000 being OCed rather than the 3200? What is the difference between the two? I plan on using stock cooling and this would truely be my first OCed computer. I see it necessary to make my purchase worth it.

Also do you have to oc via the bios? I've seen some programs for graphics cards that allow on the fly ocing. I guess it wouldnt work in this case? Unlocking the bios is it easy for a novice?

Also how can you tell which version of the AMD 64 (939) that you are buying? I hear that the newer chips kind of suck and are a different base. I want to make sure everything is golden before spending money.

Mootherboard:

I'm looking at the Asus A8V-E Deluxe. I'm a asus guy always have been, but want to know if the Nforce might be a better choice for me. I've read about it and its interesting. In your guys personal opinion which of the Nforce boards would be best?

I'm a little pissed off that none of the 939's i've seen allow for DDR2 memory or for that matter PC 5400 ram. I was planning on buying two sticks of 5400 ram once i get my taxes done with. But i'm gonna have to buy 3200 i'm guessing?

GF 6600gt:

which of all of the ones out there is the best performer out of the box? I see that this card is just the right price. And if i can get it i'll be very happy with gaming for a while.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and i would appreciate any and all help in this process thank you.
 
Back
Top