build question

Gabriel5

n00b
Hi all.
This is my first WC build, and I'm looking for an opinion from more experience builders on weather or not I have enough cooling to deal with adding my single 4870x2 to the loop.

Rampage II Extreme
6 Gigs memory
920 @3.3
4870x2
Corsair 800D

XSPC RX360 (120.3 radiator)
3x Loons, though I'm going to replace them with noiseblocker M12-Ps soon.
MCP655 pump with speed control and EK top
Heatkiller 3 CPU Water block
Swiftech Fusion NB waterblock
.5 inch ID tubing

So basicly I want to add the GPU to the loop. I've seen some wildly different definitions on what I need to cool the CPU and GPU together and was looking for some feedback.

Oh, and I plan to overclocking the CPU later to 3.8.

Thanks!

Last edited:
yeah. some people are fine with getting to within reason like 70C, and some people insist on WCing all the way to like 35C. id say what you have is a little short since 920s and 4870x2s both put out so much heat, but another 2x120 should give you reasonable temps. theyre only like $50, and you dont need any more other components.

this reminds me that i will be posting a thread in the next couple days that will detail out how to do the thermodynamics math for a cooling system..... and also give explanations to how and why certain things work the way they do...... >_< just need the time to actually type the thing out......

Right now I have the option of getting on of those fancy Accelero Xtreme 4870 X2 fans for 40 dollars or a used DD 4870x2 water block for about the same and I'm having trouble deciding which... The water block sounds nice because it normally costs alot more... But I'm satisfied with my performance right now and want to avoid extra noise at all costs... It seems to me adding a radiator to the exterior would add a bit more noise...

What do you think?

Right now I have the option of getting on of those fancy Accelero Xtreme 4870 X2 fans for 40 dollars or a used DD 4870x2 water block for about the same and I'm having trouble deciding which... The water block sounds nice because it normally costs alot more... But I'm satisfied with my performance right now and want to avoid extra noise at all costs... It seems to me adding a radiator to the exterior would add a bit more noise...

What do you think?

radiators tend to be very quiet.... fans are usually the noise makers....

so... here is something to consider.... a smaller radiator needs more airflow over it meaning fans will be running faster and probably make more noise..... whereas a larger radiator will not need as much airflow and thus the fans can run at lower speeds and be quieter in the process......
hope that answers the question....

Back