Build QC

Case 18 is high for 3600 memory C16 would be better and I think the PSU is more than necessary 1000w or even 850w would be plenty IMHO spend the saving on better memory.

I assume this is a gaming build. If there are some other functions it needs to perform (outside the typical web/office/etc.) it'd be easier to make recommendations. Also, there's no indication of your display's resolution or refresh rate.

64 GB RAM is far more than needed. 32 GB is more than enough for any game.

WTF three NVMe SSDs?

$400 for a PSU is insane, and 1200 W is far more than needed.

Similarly, $300 over MSRP for an already insanely-priced GPU is hard to swallow (I realize availability is a factor here). Are you certain a RTX3080 wouldn't suffice?

>$4300 in components and you cheaped out on the fans.

Using 4x DIMMs and at higher speeds is far from a guarantee on the X570 chipset. Also, that Ryzen 9 5900X costs too damn much. That's almost the 5950X's MSRP. As others have said, the PSU is way overkill and 3x NVMe SSD's probably isn't the way to go.

Most of the core components of that build are way, way overpriced right now. Part of the reason is availability versus demand. The CPU and the PSU, especially, cost nearly double what they were originally priced at.

And that Lian Li case cannot accommodate nine fans because your planned CPU AIO cooler will eat up three of those mounts. This will limit you to six case fans, plus one in the rear. In typical Lian Li fashion, no case fans are included - but why are you cheaping out (as in paying less than $8 apiece) on the fans? A decent 120 mm fan that's both quiet and amply powerful will cost you that much money ($23) for just one fan. $8 fans just won't cut it on a high-end PC: The fans are either weak and/or noisy/loud.

And unless you do heavy content creation, there is absolutely no need for three PCI-e m.2 NVMe SSDs. You really only need two internal drives - period - for that build: The 500 GB 970 EVO Plus m.2 NVMe SSD is plenty for an OS drive, but the secondary drive does not need to be NVMe (but a capacity that's larger than the main OS drive is recommended), and may not even need to be an SSD at all - but may be an HDD (spinner).

In short, due to the outrageously high component pricing right now, I would wait for the prices to come down before you commit yourself to the build unless you absolutely need a new PC (because your current PC is outdated, obsolete or broken).

For the record, since I do some video editing, I do use three internal SSDs; however, my OS and programs are on a 2.5" SATA SSD. The other two SSDs in my system are m.2 NVMe.

Last edited:
All great feedback and i have some explaining to do.

AIO/Liquid cooling: I plan on using the AIO for a sort amount of time until the EKWB water loop supplies are available. Some parts are currently out of stock and delivery will take some time. So having the 1200 PSU might be plenty, although i think i could get away with a 1000 PSU.

3 M.2 Drives: The GIG Master board comes with 3 M.2 slots on the board. 1 working off the CPU and the other 2 off the chip set. My plan is to place the 1 TB M.2 at the top (working off the CPU) and the second 1 TB M.2 at the bottom slot. This will allow me to run Raid 0. The third M.2 500GB will be placed in the second slot and this will contain the Operating system and a couple programs.

64 GB RAM: Yes i know 64 is a bit much, but i plan on learning/practicing video editing/steaming/all that jazz.

That's plausible. I still think that for the current inflated going price of that 5900X, there are better choices (CPU-wise). However, Intel does not have a current CPU platform that's compelling enough for your use because Intel's current CPU platforms either use an older, less-performance-efficient CPU architecture or have all of its m.2 slots run off of the chipset (no available CPU PCIe lanes for anything besides the GPU and the chipset). That leaves the older Zen2 (3000 series) CPUs or the still-very-expensive Threadripper 3000-series platform on sTRX4.

As a result, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place right now.

Buy better fans. The cas 18 comment might apply, depends on use case, video editing wont care. Gaming it costs you frames (I would estimate less than 5%, so diminishing returns for sure, but based on your other component choices this appears to be a go big or go home kind of build).
Other than that, looks solid. Jealous you have the cash to entertain such choices.

3 M.2 Drives: The GIG Master board comes with 3 M.2 slots on the board. 1 working off the CPU and the other 2 off the chip set. My plan is to place the 1 TB M.2 at the top (working off the CPU) and the second 1 TB M.2 at the bottom slot. This will allow me to run Raid 0. The third M.2 500GB will be placed in the second slot and this will contain the Operating system and a couple programs.

First, the OS volume should be the one running off of the CPU lanes. It will benefit the most from that spot, while (one half of) your games volume will not.

Second, I admittedly have no citations or numbers on this, but it feels less than optimal to split a RAID across the CPU and chipset lanes (should the UEFI even allow it).

Third, have you verified that the chipset m.2 interfaces don't share PCIe lanes? In other words, if one SSD is installed it gets all four lanes, but if two are installed they're split 2 & 2 (similar to how installing multiple GPUs works).

Forth, running RAID 0 for anything but a scratch volume is looking for trouble, and the throughput benefits are pretty much meaningless.

Lastly, if you are going for throughput, you should probably be looking at (and willing to pay for) PCIe 4 SSDs.

First, the OS volume should be the one running off of the CPU lanes. It will benefit the most from that spot, while (one half of) your games volume will not.

Second, I admittedly have no citations or numbers on this, but it feels less than optimal to split a RAID across the CPU and chipset lanes (should the UEFI even allow it).

Third, have you verified that the chipset m.2 interfaces don't share PCIe lanes? In other words, if one SSD is installed it gets all four lanes, but if two are installed they're split 2 & 2 (similar to how installing multiple GPUs works).

Forth, running RAID 0 for anything but a scratch volume is looking for trouble, and the throughput benefits are pretty much meaningless.

Lastly, if you are going for throughput, you should probably be looking at (and willing to pay for) PCIe 4 SSDs.

So maybe i should have the 500GB in the CPU lanes (Running OS) and purchase the Sabrent 1TB NVMe 4.0 and have that place in one of the bottom slots?
then if i want to add additional space i could just add SATA.

As for the RAM maybe i should get the G Skill Trident Z Newo Series then? CL16 3600

I already have the following parts in hand.

Lian Li o11 XL
AMD 5900x
3090 TUF
Gigabyte Master x570
1 500GB M.2 + 2 1T M.2

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've updated my list.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sir.pattyice/saved/#view=ZMRd99

PSU: A friend of mine has an extra Asus Thor 1200 (he doubled ordered and was lazy to send it back)
RAM: 2X G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) C16
M.2 Drive: 1X 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus. Running the OS in the CPU slot. 1X Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB holding games.
FANS: Lian Li Uni 7 Total. Found a guy on the Facebook marketplace. $33.50 each.

Skip the Gigabyte Master MB. There a whole thread about people having issues with it. Get a cheap $10 windows key from the FS forum here.

If you think you'll need 64GB of RAM why not buy 32GB and add 32GB later, if you actually need it? Never understood that logic, RAM is by far the most scalable component of a desktop besides fans.

Skip the Gigabyte Master MB. There a whole thread about people having issues with it. Get a cheap $10 windows key from the FS forum here.
what board would you suggest? Asus rog crosshair viii dark hero?

Back