[Build log] Feed the Dada - W/C'd 2600k / 7970

dmanstasiu

Weaksauce
I'm new to this forum so I figured I'd post up a new build that will be built in the coming weeks :)

First off, let's get it straight. There will be virtually no modding on this computer. I like modding, but as far as I can see not much modding will be necessary for this.

Good, we got that out of the way.

Dada life. No reason, I just love their music. Always get super happy, super pumped. Good times with Derick

Parts list:
CPU:
Intel i7-2600k cooled by H100 with 2x Corsair SP120 and Indigo Xtreme

Motherboard:
ASRock Z77E-ITX

RAM:
Samsung 8GB 30nm

GPU:
MSI 7970 cooled by Antec Kuhler 920 ( Red mod ), and Corsair SP120s

SSD:
Samsung 840 250GB

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 750GB

PSU:
Seasonic X650

Case:

Bitfenix Prodigy [black]

Only case fan will be 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro All Black on the front. Rear and top fan slots will be populated by radiators.

Planned case mods:
-Window on the side panel that has a perforated grill. Considering drilling holes to permit airflow to GPU
-Removing most of the hard drive cages

Hardware mods:
-Adapting Antec kuhler 920 to GPU. Not much of a mod, but still a mod.

Parts that have arrived thus far:
-Seasonic X650 PSU
-MSI 7970 GPU

Index

1. Parts

2. Overclocking

3. Final pictures of build.

4. Assembly

Pictures of parts as they come in.

DSC00708.JPG

DSC00711.JPG

DSC00724.JPG

Macro? HA. time to get a new camera
DSC00722.JPG

DSC00712.JPG

DSC00714.JPG

All the modular cables. Only the 24-pin is "sleeved"
DSC00717.JPG

Gotta love these
DSC00718.JPG

DSC00713.JPG

Round-up of the hardware. Hardware came in box by box so everything was opened before the "almost"-final round-up.

Some items aren't here yet, or out of their box; these are:
2600k front and center
H100 bottom-left with SP120s, High-performance edition

4vc7N.jpg

Anyways. Tomorrow, the following hardware arrives:
-750GB HDD
-Dwood bracket and copper shim

The Amazon seller from whom I bought the motherboard, marked it as *Shipped* on December 5th, but after some emails I learned that he only shipped it on December 11th. :mad: oh well. Not much I can do

In the next week I'll be super busy between skiing, rockclimbing and a job trial, so by next Friday I'll hopefully have most of the modding done, and the build well on it's way.

List of mods planned:
-Integrating the fan controller [painted black] into the PSU bay, or side-panel. I have yet to decide.
-Window mod for one of the side-panels
-Cutting out a nice rectangular hole on the PSU bay to let the cables come out straight
-Cutting the tabs on the top radiator holder to allow the H100 rad to be mounted externally, with the fans on the inside
-Mod an opening on the bottom [where the HDD cages used to be] to put the Antec Kuhler 920

And finally, I have to go to the hardware store to pick up lots of small bolts and nuts, for all the rads and fans. The 230mm fan didn't seem to come with any :headscrat:

Last edited:
I'm going to be building a htpc in a prodigy and also plan to cut out an opening for the psu, so I'm curious to see what do's and dont's you discover along the way.

I already have the case, but likely won't have the rest of the parts until after Christmas, so I'll let you be the guinea pig ;)

The hole in front of the PSU is not *necessary*. As of now, I plugged in the 24-pin + CPU 8-pin and 8 + 6-pin for my GPU, and it fits. It's definitely a tight squeeze. Try and get a 140-150mm PSU instead of 160mm like me :p

Feel free to ask any questions regarding parts fitting, etc

Solid start! I really like these mods you're trying to do because I've been considering them as well. Keep us posted!

I'm going to be building a htpc in a prodigy and also plan to cut out an opening for the psu, so I'm curious to see what do's and dont's you discover along the way.

I already have the case, but likely won't have the rest of the parts until after Christmas, so I'll let you be the guinea pig ;)

That's great news, as I was also looking at using a modular 160mm Seasonic! (although a different model) Can't wait!

Back