dj_unforgetable
n00b
- Joined
- Aug 15, 2002
- Messages
- 46
Help me out here folks
The last system I build was almost 4 years ago so I've been out of the game too long.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Some gaming (looking towards SC2, and some WoW) but I'll be using it mainly for work. I usually have MacOSX and Linux running in two VMWare sessions on my box and I want a system (CPU/RAM) that can support this along with the casual SC2 gaming without bogging down. All the VM's won't be running at the same time along with gaming, so don't worry about that
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around $1200CDN total with tax.
3) Where do you live?
Toronto, Canada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Video Card, HDD (1TB+), PSU, Cooling (air ideally, watercool not a stretch), Case (nothing fancy, not against mATX), Drives (Plain DVDRW), Wireless Cards (if not part of motherboard)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Ideally no, but if it's easier than pencil-etching Athlon CPUs, then yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I already have a 24" monitor and might upgrade to a 30".
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next month.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Nothing fancy, SLI would be nice if I choose to upgrade eventually I suppose.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I'll be installing Windows7 64bit.
I'd like to go i7 based on the reviews I've seen and the real-world gaming video I watched here, but I'm not sure if the Phenom x6 will serve my professional needs and my gaming needs. I've also read that the LGA1336 socket lasts longer than the LGA1556? I'd like to have this sytem remain more or less the same for at least 1.5 years. In terms of ram, 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 should be enough I suppose?
I'm also thinking about getting a really cheap/small/fast SSD to boot only my OS, and getting a larger/slower HDD to put data onto ...
Hit me with you got !
Edit: Lol, you can see my old age based on the system in my sig, lol!
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Some gaming (looking towards SC2, and some WoW) but I'll be using it mainly for work. I usually have MacOSX and Linux running in two VMWare sessions on my box and I want a system (CPU/RAM) that can support this along with the casual SC2 gaming without bogging down. All the VM's won't be running at the same time along with gaming, so don't worry about that
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around $1200CDN total with tax.
3) Where do you live?
Toronto, Canada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Video Card, HDD (1TB+), PSU, Cooling (air ideally, watercool not a stretch), Case (nothing fancy, not against mATX), Drives (Plain DVDRW), Wireless Cards (if not part of motherboard)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Ideally no, but if it's easier than pencil-etching Athlon CPUs, then yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I already have a 24" monitor and might upgrade to a 30".
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next month.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Nothing fancy, SLI would be nice if I choose to upgrade eventually I suppose.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I'll be installing Windows7 64bit.
I'd like to go i7 based on the reviews I've seen and the real-world gaming video I watched here, but I'm not sure if the Phenom x6 will serve my professional needs and my gaming needs. I've also read that the LGA1336 socket lasts longer than the LGA1556? I'd like to have this sytem remain more or less the same for at least 1.5 years. In terms of ram, 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 should be enough I suppose?
I'm also thinking about getting a really cheap/small/fast SSD to boot only my OS, and getting a larger/slower HDD to put data onto ...
Hit me with you got !
Edit: Lol, you can see my old age based on the system in my sig, lol!
Last edited: