Buffer underrun problem (chkdsk...)

DigitalMP

Gawd
Okay, I've been using bloated Nero 7 since November, and really have had no major problem with it, and never had a burn fail. However, the last 10 CD writes have failed, whether it was a >80:00 DJ set, an overburn DJ set, or an assorted playlist of tracks.

My PC runs very clean, with not much running in the background. Spyware scans are splenty, as are NOD vscans and HJT scans. I have been using the same TDK 80 min CDRs that I've been using for years, and was about to assume that I got a bad box of CDs, though the first 15 burned just fine.

Flash forward to yesterday at 6pm, when I got home from work with a tray of sushi, all of my liking since the dumb bitch stiffed me. That's alright though, because I had sushi and hockey. Anyways, I get to my PC, and Diskkeeper failed because of something something on my disk, and directed me to run CHKDSK.

Now, I no longer think the problem is the CDs, or even Nero, since I contemplated picking up Ashampoo (which I probably will anyways). I ran CHKDSK /f this morning, and it booted afterwards, and the burn failed again.

Are there any other parameters I should run to see if it actually found anything wrong, and if so, whether it was able to fix them or not?

Goddammit. I have this sick 16-bit Lolitas set I need to listen to in my car! :mad:

Ok, so I think I might have a bad cluster on my drive. Is this a hardware or an OS issue? Will a full format resolve the matter, or should I contact Dell for a new drive (It's 6 months old)?

How would I be certain it's a bad cluster?

I really don't have the luxury of waiting (how long?) for a replacement.

Back