Buffalo Wireless Router problem

Flightle

n00b
Hello All,

Excuse my lack of knowledge. Any replies should assume little to no network experience on my part.

I have a new Buffalo wireless router and I am simply trying to set it up. Following the directions exactly doesn't help. My problem is that I cannot access the router by typing in the default IP address BUT I CAN access it from my wireless laptop. (Note: The wireless laptop can only access the router's IP and cannot load web pages)

I have tried all manner of power resets, waiting 30 seconds, start orders etc. I just can get into the router from my wired PC.

I've noticed that I cannot get the assigned IP address through DHCP server (through laptop). I cannot access that or a "PPPoE"

Root problem: Can't get into router from my wired PC.

Please Help...

Thanks!!

-Forest

What type of connection to the internet do you have?

Can the laptop access wirelessly or wired?

Cable Modem connection.

Laptop can access the router wirelessly, perhaps I should plug it into the hardwire to see if I can access.

Try plugging the laptop in hardwired.
If it works then try updating the NIC drivers and checking the cable.

Tried plugging cable modem USB and network cable into the laptop but couldn't get the internet fired up. Again, this proves how new I am at this stuff. Probably need to find the disks so that the computer will recognize the USB device (cable modem)

As of right now, I'm lost as to setting up the wireless network.

You should try to reinstall the network card drivers as it seems like the computer is at fault if it wont connect to either the router or modem.
Who is your internet service provider?
What is the model number of the modem?
What is the model number of the router?
What NIC is in the computer?

RoadRunner Online (cable)
D-Link DCM-202 Cable modem
Buffalo Airstation Wireless-G WHR-G54S

Damn, evidently in my system/device manger I have two listed controllers:

1. Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
and

2. D-Link Broadband Cable Modem Remote NDIS Device

UPDATE: For some reason the Broadcom was disabled, so I enabled and can now get into the wireless router from my desktop PC (wired) but it still can't talk to DHCP. AND, I have lost my internet connection. Just to post this, I had to disable the Broadcom, and repair D-Link to get back internet. Could this all be some sort of weird occurrence stemming from the fact that I may have had the broadcom disabled when I installed my D-link modem and gained internet service from Roadrunner?

Are you sure the DCHP server is enabled in the router?
Personally I would just assign a static IP to the computer to save fiddling about.
Try to reconfigure now that you have enabled the connection.

I apologize but I really don't understand what's going on.

I just know this: My internet works through the D-Link Cable Modem Remote NDIS Device with the BroadCom controller DISABLED.

If I enable the Broadcom, I lose internet but can connect to the wireless router.

If I disable the Broadcom again and try to get internet back thru the D-Link device, it happens but it can take a few "repairs" or restarts.

Should my internet and wireless router both be running under the installed BroadCom controller that came with the computer? In fact, I'm not sure why the "D-Link NDIS Device" is even in there. Is it some fix to the fact that I had the BroadCom disabled or will it show up because the computer recognizes the USB identification from the D-Link modem.

I'm thinking that I somehow need to completely re-establish my Cable internet. It needs to be handled by the BroadCom controller seeing that it's the only thing that allows me to access the router.

Finally, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to know if DCHP is enabled in the router (other than last time I was in the router menu, I had it defaulted to automatically get the IP)

... and I'm pretty clueless about how to handle setting up a static IP for my desktop PC.

I appreciate your help!

-Forest

The reason your internet doesn't work is the router is trying to act as the gateway to the internet.

You should try to re-configure the router and ensure the modem is only connected to the router (not the computer as well).

Yes DCHP is enabled by the sound of it.
You do not want PPPoE or whatever enabled.
The router should be configured for a cable modem access.

Anyway, someone else should be able to explain better.

Well, it turns out, I have near-full functionality with just the Broadcom enabled. I have no idea why and when I started relying on just the D-Link's modem for my network device. Maybe I shut it down at some point.

Well it's working except for the WAN getting it's info from DCHP. It keeps saying that its attempting to communicate with DCHP but nothing ever becomes of it. I don't seem to have any problem on the internet or with my wife's laptop on the internet.

I am having trouble using her computer to access my files on my main hardwired computer. Is this where the WAN stuff comes in? Again, I'm an extreme beginner.

Thanks,

Forest

Back