• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget SFF AMD Build!

HelioX

Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
705
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I work @ home, will be using this PC for light gaming, web browsing...skype, excel/office products...nothing major

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
500 tax + shipping included

3) Where do you live?
Arizona

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Mobo, ram, cpu, psu, case

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
5770, x-25M 80GB ssd, fans

6) Will you be overclocking?
As high as possible!

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I have 2 22" monitors running in Eyefinity, keeping the 5770 for this purpose

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Sata 6, USB 3, micro atx and good overclocking features

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Here is my current build...
Case: LIAN LI PC-V351B
Mobo: MSI 880GMA-E45 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX
PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz
Ram: OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Subtotal: $437.34

Hows my current build look? I'm a little worried about the lack of L3 cache on the processor, this will be my first build and I have never OC'd with AMD before. Am I spending too much money for what I am getting? Also I think my 5770 is 8.5 inches long, it'll fit in the case, right? I'm also at a complete loss as to what HSF to use in this case, I need to stay under 88mm height I think!
 
Last edited:
Well I Changed EVERYTHING.. but bang for buck wise this is a better budget build

Case: Bgears BG01176 b-Envi Aluminum/Plastic Mini Tower Case Black Retail (this isnt as high quality as the v351b, but its a great looking case, still holds everything & is MUCH cheaper)
Mobo + CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz +BIOSTAR TA880GB+ AM3 AMD 880G
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Shipped total would be 409 as opposed to your 452 with a faster CPU

Edit: and if you dont like that case then you can still get the lian li with the rest of my components for 463 shipped
 
Well I Changed EVERYTHING.. but bang for buck wise this is a better budget build

Case: Bgears BG01176 b-Envi Aluminum/Plastic Mini Tower Case Black Retail (this isnt as high quality as the v351b, but its a great looking case, still holds everything & is MUCH cheaper)
Mobo + CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz +BIOSTAR TA880GB+ AM3 AMD 880G
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Shipped total would be 409 as opposed to your 452 with a faster CPU

Edit: and if you dont like that case then you can still get the lian li with the rest of my components for 463 shipped

Thanks for the build! I'm looking to have this system for quite some time, the enthusiast inside me screams NO to the Phenom 945, because I'd just want the one with an unlocked multiplier. That mobo looks iffy to me, no usb3 and no sata 6, as well as 1 newegg review. :/
 
The parts you chose looks good. However, let's do some modifications to it.

OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB DDR3 1600 + AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9ghz both for $168.98 ($20 MIR on RAM)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.456890

GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6gb/s USB 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128445

As far as the 5770 fitting in there. It should. There are people who already installed a 5770 in that case.


Any specific reason for that mobo over the one I have selected? Looking at the specs vs my MSI, they seem pretty equal. Just the price? MSI is 2.99 shipping, Gigabyte is 7.56 shipping, so that makes the price pretty even I think.
 
Thanks for the build! I'm looking to have this system for quite some time, the enthusiast inside me screams NO to the Phenom 945, because I'd just want the one with an unlocked multiplier. That mobo looks iffy to me, no usb3 and no sata 6, as well as 1 newegg review. :/

You don't need an unlocked multiplier to OC an AMD. Beyond that the Mobo, well I am not a Biostar fan, but alot of people here use & recommend them & I do know that Biostar has made some leaps into Overclocking.. For the USB 3.0 & SATA 6gbps, well yea it dropped those & also gave you a Much faster CPU for less money.. Since nothing can take advantage of the sata 6 yet & if you really need usb 3.0 later you can get an add in card for 20 bucks to me the trade off is an easy one to make.
 
Thanks for selling me your rig bastage....almost identical to what I was looking for and the price was perfect!
 
Personally I would recommend $5 more and get this mobo. I have the atx version and it is great. All reviews are 4/5 star. Also it unlocks cores, I don't know if the gigabyte will do it.
 
Asus unlocks cores via hardware chip, Gigabyte had a older revision of their AMD8xx series chipset boards without unlock features and then they added a hardware chip too to the new revision of their boards, MSI does unlocking via software (BIOS) like everyone did it in old times :). Feature wise, all three boards offer the same thing (SATA3, USB3, AM3, 880G chipset), so in the end it comes down to personal preference like color scheme, need for eSATA (only Gigabyte offers this, on other side you lose 1 internal SATA due this).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top