Buddies computer wont turn on

Naldo

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 7, 2001
Messages
3,739
A guy in my dorm asked me to look at his computer to see if I can fix it and I am stumped. When you press the power button the fans spin up for a second but then the machine cuts right off. So I figure it must be the Powersupply, the psu he has in there is 350W, but has crappy ratings on the rails. So I go and get a spare PSU I had on hand to go test (this PSU has less watts but more amps on the rails), the machine still doesnt power up. I disconnect power to everything but his motherboard (ATX connector and 12V 4-pin square thing), machine still does the same thing. So it must not be a Power Issue.

Can anyone think of what might be wrong?
 
Another of my guess could be the ram..

Do you have one of those motherboard speakerS?
 
I checked the CMOS jumper it is in the right place. A speaker is connected, but the system doesnt stay on long enough for any beep codes to be sent.
 
What kind of computer are we talking about here? You may want to take out all the memory and swap sticks around to see if that does anything (if it has more than one stick). Truthfully this looks like a PSU issue and you may need to get a beefier one to test.
 
ask him when the problem began to occur.

Like was it right after a power surge, during a electrical storm, no surge protector, what?

If the known working PSU doens't work I'd bet the mobo is borked.
 
Back
Top