Broadband Router Selection

sithspit

Weaksauce
I'm in the market to get a broadband router with at least these features:
1. 1 wan port (or more, but I don't need them)
2. 4 10/100/1000 LAN ports (again this number is negotiable, but I think for this, 4 should be ok. This isn't going to be the core switch, just sort of a satellite for a room that only has one network jack and also happens to be where the broadband comes into the house)
3. VPN endpoint capability (I'd prefer not to have it doing passthrough as I don't have a VPN server on the inside, one that can do both would be nice (is there such a thing?), but not necessary. And I don't want to have to install client software, just the built in windows VPN dialer [feel free to correct me if I'm being stupid :p])
4. Firewall

I'm not inclined to worry about price until I do some more research on what's out there.

I've been doing a lot of research, but I thought I'd ask for opinions here.

Thanks

The D-Link gamer lounge models seem to fit the bill of having a gigabit switch built in (only a 10/100 WAN though iirc), plus they're pretty good wireless routers. You could also "make" your own with an ipcop box hooked up to a gigabit switch.

Linksys/Cisco RV082 or RV016 models. They make a smaller RV042 model...which just in the last firmware version they added PPTP VPN server...but I've read it's not working well....the RV082 and RV016 units have twice the processor power, and proven PPTP VPN. I run an RV082 at home, and have installed many of the 082 and 016 units for clients.

The 0## number designates number of LAN ports...042 is 4, 082 is 8, 016 is 16.
These models are 10/100, managed switch, and all are dual WAN ports...so you can load balance dual connections, failover, etc.

They also support IPSec VPN...using their own client software, which you mentioned you didn't like though. (nor do I...I use the PPTP all the time..rock solid)

They do make an RV0041 model...which has 4x giga ports...I don't know if it supports PPTP VPN...I have not worked with one of those.

Back