Bridging Wireless Networks

Austin

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend and I are looking to bridge our wireless networks. I am looking for a wifi router that can sync to another wifi connection as the wan port and route the connection via ethernet. Is this easy to do? Anyone know of some products that can do this? Thank you.

What distance are you 2 away from each other? There's a bunch of different solutions. but the distance is the key factor here.

Specifically What equipment do both of you have now?

Any reason why not to use a wireless bridge to attach to Network #1 and have the bridge feed AP#2?
AP#1 --->Upgraded Antenna ---->200ft----->Upgraded Antenna----> Wifi Bridge---> AP#2 or Local LAN

Just 1 possible solution... But more info needed.

We have one wireless router attached to his network. I think we are going to try a bridge into another wifi router. We might need a better antenna.

Think further than that... Do you know how to get the 2 routers to securely route traffic between them?

If i have wep set up on the first router and limit the MACs I should be fine. Similar security on the other end.

OK, That will limit Security from Clients to each router. But You still haven't touched on How each router will know to pass traffic to the other router...

What IP scheme are you gonna use?

I'm not trying to be a dick. But until you figure this out, ITS NOT GOING TO WORK.

I think I can use a wifi bridge into his router (which uses wep), connect that to the wan port of my wifi router, and then set up my local security as I see fit.

We are only interested in sharing his internet connection. No gaming of file sharing over the lan.

Unlikely you'll be able to double NAT the connection and Router/AP combo's won't bridge as a general rule, there there is an exception to that in the .11b world (Buffalo Tech). You'll want an AP in a workgroup bridge mode configuration, then that will go to your router's switch, LAN side, not the WAN port. You'll disable that alltogether. Disable that routers DHCP server as well. You can then use that AP to cover your side of the link. Just make sure the AP and bridge are on different channels and use different SSIDs.

Back