Bridging a fiber connection (Mikrotik)

Ruachta

n00b
Hi guys. You have been great in the past for answers so I figured I'd try you guys again.

After being misinformed by my supplier I ordered a CCR1036-8G-2S+ (SFP+ model) under the impression it would support 1.25Gb SFP's. But after recieving them and having no luck. I found with a very little bit of research (yea my bad) that the router does not support 1.25G sfp's

I do have a couple other Mikrotik products with SFP ports which link up in the lab.
260GS and RB2011UiAS-RM

The question I have, is what's the best method for bridging the fiber to ethernet. Do I just setup a bridge with the SFP port and Ethernet port? Or is there a better method. Forgive my noobness.

Thanks in advance
Peter

As far as the associating the SFP+ port with the ethernet ports you can either:

• set up a bridge and add an ethernet port and the SFP+ port
  • go into the SFP+ port config and select an ethernet port as a "master port"

As far as an SFP in an SFP+ port, i'm not sure if that is supported. Make sure you update RouterOS to 6.7 and set the speed manually in the port config.

If that doesn't work you can always get a 10Gb SFP+ and set the speed you need. The MM 850nm ones are ~$59. Super cheap. As long as both sides are MM 850nm and the rate is the same it'll work just fine, even with different modules.

Thanks BDS

Unfortunately the SFP I have does not support the 1.25GB link that my provider is using.

After spending some time with the gear. I decided to use the 260GS switch to bridge it. Not sure why it didn't dawn on me earlier just to use the switch. Keep thinking these little boxes are routers.

Back