Bored At Work.... Networking to Home Computer

Nate5452

n00b
Ok....So my job has alot of downtime.

What benefit can i have by networking to my home computer?

The only way I really know is setting up an FTP Server. Are there other/better methods to connect to my home computer. What programs can i run at my work computer connected to my home computer.

Thanks
Nate

Better question... What programs will your boss ALLOW you to run on your work computer?

VNC, Remote Desktop.

VNC and Remote Desktop would allow you to use your programs on your home computer. FTP would only allow you to move files around and transfer file to your work computer or vise versa

Setup a remote desktop port to be open on your firewall (other than 3389) and have it forward to your workstation at home. Now you can do whatever you want from work.

I could not go on living without LogMeIn. Absolutely free and no messing with port forwarding. Especially useful if you are working somewhere where you can't easily get the IT people to forward ports for you. In my case RDP and VNC where out of the question.

www.logmein.com

I could not go on living without LogMeIn. Absolutely free and no messing with port forwarding. Especially useful if you are working somewhere where you can't easily get the IT people to forward ports for you. In my case RDP and VNC where out of the question.

www.logmein.com

Too bad that website is blocked on our network.
Certain programs can be installed though, whether the network will allow it acess is a different story

You could setup a ssh server at home. Tunnel out of your work through port 80.

Is there any particular program that will allow me to access the internet for example... yahoo mail through my home computer from my work computer? work blocks those websites

Is there any particular program that will allow me to access the internet for example... yahoo mail through my home computer from my work computer? work blocks those websites

You could try a SSH tunnel

Here a guide that very detailed and just what your looking for.
http://www.buzzsurf.com/surfatwork/

Basically all your traffic from work to your home computer will be encrypted when sent and received.

with computers and firewalls everything is a 1 or a 0. There is no borderline, you either cross the line or you dont.

Where there's a will, there's a way. What most users forget is that this applies to both sides, so don't think you'll never be caught.

Back