Boreas MTEC Chassis Review

sladesurfer

[H]ard|Gawd
Cool It http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=160

Maximum PC review http://www.maximumpc.com/article/one_part_case_one_part_bigass_cooler_eight_parts_awesome?page=0,0

At this point in the "testing," I got tired of taking sissy pooh-pooh shots of the Silverstone/CoolIT venture, and was itching to see just how much I could stress this machine out. So I fired up an instance of Prime95, making sure it was taking a good chunk out of all the CPU cores, and ran a loop of 3DMark with all the settings maximized. Oh yes, I wanted to make this baby burn, and while it didn't catch ablaze, it did get noticeably warmer. Shown here:

As a whole, the cooler functions remarkably well. Considering that it's packing a flaming CPU and two 8800s in the same loop, I was pleased to see temperatures staying within reasonable ranges (40 degrees-ish). Heck, I was even able to get the coolant itself down to a pleasing 25 degrees (on an idle system, mind you). Which reminds me; the software package that powers the entire deal, CoolIT's MTEC Control Center, is unequivocally badass. And simple. All you need to do is pick a temperature that you want the coolant to hover around, and the Boreas will take care of the rest by automatically raising or lowering the fan speeds. It's a mixed blessing; you get lower fan speeds (and lower noise) when the computer's running normally. But when it starts to output the heat, and the Boreas kicks it up a notch to match your cooling preferences... you might want earplugs.

But that's how the computing cookie crumbles. It sure beats a Boreas that's running at 100 percent all the time, that's for sure. And as I've gushed, the unit's cooling prowess -- strapped into a pretty "1337" case -- is a great combination. Heavy as all get-out, but great. As always, CoolIT provides an excellent alternative for those who don't want to futz with building their own custom water cooling rig.

Okay...?

You realize it's already six months old, right? It's a nice setup, admittedly, but what do you expect us to say about it?

That, and it's a repost.

Back