bootable USB issue

polonyc2

Fully [H]
can someone explain to me how to locate a file directory after booting from a USB stick...I'm trying to update the firmware on my SSD and the only way to do it is by booting through the USB but I have no idea how to do it...here are the instructions provided by G.Skill:

1. Download and extract the new firmware to an bootable USB stick

2. Boot from that USB and go to the path where your firmware files are located

I've created a bootable USB, gone into the BIOS and selected it as the first boot device but every time I reboot it starts the Windows install load screen...how do I get to the path where my firmware is located (F: Falcon)

here is a screenshot proved by G.Skill...how do I get to this screen?

If it were actually booting from the USB stick you should end up at a DOS prompt, which you could then type DIR to see the files and folders and then CD FALCON to get into the FALCON folder.

If it's booting into something else, then either the USB stick was not set up properly as a bootable stick or something is set wrong in the BIOS perhaps.

What method did you use to make the USB stick bootable? There are several methods, some of which work better than others, also, some USB sticks cannot be made bootable, though these are sort of rare to find nowadays if you're using a relatively new brand name USB stick.

I used HDDErase to wipe my SSD so it's currently empty...I used a program called WinToFlash to copy over my Windows 7 disc to my USB

http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

I unzipped the Falcon firmware files and also put it on my USB...I went into the BIOS and booted up from the USB...I don't see a DOS prompt when it boots but rather it starts the loading Windows 7 screen where it asks you to put in the language etc as if I'm doing a fresh install of Windows

I'm using a 16GB Crucial Flash Voyager USB stick

G.Skill firmware flash instructions...

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6257

to get to a comand prompt using a Windows 7 install USB stick.

Follow the steps on this page and select command prompt:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

"To use this method, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the disc or USB flash drive.

1.Insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, or a system repair disc, and then shut down your computer.

2.Restart your computer using the computer's power button.

3.When prompted, press any key, and then follow the instructions that appear.

4.On the Install Windows page, or on the System Recovery Options page, choose your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

•If neither the Install Windows page nor the System Recovery Options page appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

5.If you are using the Windows installation disc or USB flash drive, click Repair your computer.

6.Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next.

7.On the System Recovery Options menu, click a tool to open it."

You may be out of luck using this method since you wiped your drive and there isn't currently a Windows install on it, looking at step 6, but I do not know for sure.

how do I create a bootable USB drive?...I think that's where I went wrong initially...I copied the entire Windows disc over to the USB

any simple instructions on creating a boot up with my USB?

how do I create a bootable USB drive?...I think that's where I went wrong initially...I copied the entire Windows disc over to the USB

any simple instructions on creating a boot up with my USB?

That works. At the first screen that comes up, select English, proceed. On the next screen on the booto, there is a link named "Repair". Click that. IT will try to find a Windows install to rpair. I think if ti doesn't find one you will see a link at the bottom of the next screen that is something like "Advanced options". Click that, and one of the optionson the next screen will be "Command prompt". Click that, then navigate to the directory on your USB stick where you put the flash program.

That works. At the first screen that comes up, select English, proceed. On the next screen on the booto, there is a link named "Repair". Click that. IT will try to find a Windows install to rpair. I think if ti doesn't find one you will see a link at the bottom of the next screen that is something like "Advanced options". Click that, and one of the optionson the next screen will be "Command prompt". Click that, then navigate to the directory on your USB stick where you put the flash program.

yup should work that way but for some reason it kept giving me file path errors...probably because I wasn't putting in the correct command names

I actually ended up putting the firmware on a floppy and flashing that way...much simpler...created the MS-DOS startup disk, put the firmware file on it, booted up and flashed...I thought that the USB method was required but I guess they only say that because a lot of people no longer have floppy drives anymore

Back