Blowing circuits with phase change?

aces155

Limp Gawd
I am looking to purchase an OCZ phase change system when it comes out, but I hear that I could blow my circuit breaker if I run it straight from the wall. What types of extras do I need to run it safely?

Just put in a 100 amp breaker! You won't have to worry about it tripping on you then!
>evil chuckle<

Seriously though.. Try it and see. Worst that'll happen is you'll lose power and have to reformat :D

See what the specs say are the amperage draw. Most home breakers are in the 15-30 amp range.

Well, if it can handle microwave oven... i don't see why not. Start up should be less than 800w, fully loaded less than 300w. My guess is about 150-180w typical usage.

BitchBreaker said:
if that little guy trip's a breaker there is a big problem :)

No kidding, no way on earth should that happen in most households. Trying it in my grandparents house though...that's a different story...if too many of their appliances are on (nothing crazy, fridge/microwave/stove) at a time, power goes out in like half the house.

Any home that isn't burdened with a power grid/electrical system that's 50 years old you should be fine. :p

You may have some issues if you are running at FLA, but then again the compressor probably is not running properly or has a locked rotor if that happens! :p

Yea if hes hitting LRA then the compressor wouldnot be running at all :) LRA is locked rotor amp's it is the motor amperage draw in the case of a disaster in the compressor, lockup, stuck piston, to high of a headpressure can lock a compressor up also.

BitchBreaker said:
Yea if hes hitting LRA then the compressor wouldnot be running at all :) LRA is locked rotor amp's it is the motor amperage draw in the case of a disaster in the compressor, lockup, stuck piston, to high of a headpressure can lock a compressor up also.

Nice to know I've "got access" to someone like you bro...I couldn't imagine going blindly towards my first phase change system. I could get it mounted/running...but beyond that I've got a little bit of schoolin' ahead of me, thx for being such a great help. :)

That is odd. I plug in my modded Prommie to the wall with no worries at all.

by the time OCZ (well if they ever) get the thing out we will be living on Mars.

Edit: Just have Jinu117 make you a direct die if you want one this century.

ill give you guys some numbers

standard wall outlet is 120V at 15 Amps (on a 120V 15A circut, meaning the outlet can off-load the max ammount of power supplied), which is 1800Watts. thats how much one outlet can provide. if you exceed that you just trip your circuit breaker.

if your wondering how THAT works its just a bimatallic strip. when too much current passes through the strip, one side of the metal contracts, and gets pulled of the contact breaking the circut. flipping the switch simply pushes the strip back onto the contact (course now youve unplugged something so your not using too much current... i hope)

anywho the point is you need to use a helluva lot of power to do any damage. todays electrical households are pretty fool proof if installed correctly. course theres millions of jerk-off electritions.

stoves and a few other appliances use 240V, they also have 4 prongs (2 hot wires running at 120V each, 1 return, 1 ground).

and wtf is this phase change thing? it causes a change in phase :p ?

Back