• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Black Screen with new e8400. Need some help

dravoth

n00b
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
16
Ok so I just updated my bios on my 680i mobo so that I could use the new 45nm CPUs. Bios are set to defaults. So next I install a new e8400. Boot up my computer and everything runs like normal. I get to my desktop and my icons show up and then boom I get a black screen and it doesnt go away. Bios says that CPU core is at 1.19v. What could be going wrong? Is the voltage too low and the CPU isnt getting enough power? If so what should the voltage be set at? Thanks for any help.
 
Clear CMOS by removing the backup battery and using the jumper on your motherboard?
 
Ok so I just updated my bios on my 680i mobo so that I could use the new 45nm CPUs. Bios are set to defaults. So next I install a new e8400. Boot up my computer and everything runs like normal. I get to my desktop and my icons show up and then boom I get a black screen and it doesnt go away. Bios says that CPU core is at 1.19v. What could be going wrong? Is the voltage too low and the CPU isnt getting enough power? If so what should the voltage be set at? Thanks for any help.

On the side of the new E8400 box should show what max voltage is for you chip. I'd setup BIOS for this voltage and make sure you're not overclocking in BIOS in any way. Find out recommended voltage / speed / timings for your particular ram chips and also set these in BIOS (obviously speed could be lower than max rating). I'd be surprised if you have to play with FSB or Northbridge voltages to get standard speed working properly.
 
Back
Top