Black out Cooler Master ATC-710

coolchu001

Limp Gawd
Just got 2 of these cases (silver and dark gray).
The one I'm working on is the silver version since the gray one is coming in tomorrow.

I used Duplicolor auto sealer primer and flat black. Here is the result after 3 days of drying and pre-fitting the front panel:

I definitely need to get another can and do a second coat since the first coat gets scratched easily. I need to spray the hard drive caddies as well since I ran out of paint. Perhaps I might do a thin clear coat after the second coat of flat black to protect the paint from chipping.

The last things I'll be doing is to paint the inside panels flat black and the outsides in a glossy smooth dark gray or mirror finish black.

Looking good, did you rough up the chassis at all before you primed it. I am doing a similar thing and didn't know if i need to sand the chassis first. Thanks

It's a good habit to get into to rough it up with a fine grain sandpapaer like a 400+ to promote adhesion. Anything more than a 400 and you start running into fine swirl/sand marks.

Hey may I know the steps that you did when upon painting the chassis?

I basically just whipped the steel surfaces with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Then i sprayed the auto primer. Just about 1/2hr later a few light coats of flat black.

Anyways I just put in a few more flat black coats and a light clear coat. Will update with pics tomorrow. Currently waiting for the paint to cure.

Paint is now dry. Case was then washed and dried.

Also painted the interior of the side panels

The fan brackets were also painted flat black, turned out really nice (no primer)

The front was then attached (sorry for the crappy pics) I dont like to use flash...

Parts were then put in...

The 8800GTS G92 touches the hard drive...:eek:

Here's another shot...

All setup, taken with flash...

Overall I'm quite happy with the paint. However, I should have not applied the thin layer of clear coat, this made the flat black semi shiny and added a rough feeling to the surface. The paint must have added about 2 lbs to the overweight of the case. When loaded, it is quite heavy, but the heavy steel side panels are great at sound proofing.:)

Back