I've got a pair of HP Elite HPE204Fs that I'm trying to load XP-64 on. Normally I build all of the computers in the office myself-or have someone local build them-but I needed something really fast, and these had Win7 Pro on them (which we'll be upgrading to later this year), so... I went with them.
Anyhow; we're not ready to move to Windows 7 yet, and I had a couple of spare XP-64 licenses sitting around, so I'm putting it on these machines. I installed it on one machine, and it is now doing something that I have never seen before:
If I don't have the Windows CD in the DVD drive, the machine won't boot. It POSTs, and then before reaching the Windows boot screen, it restarts.
EDIT: I suspected a driver issue, but I just formatted and did a clean install. With no drivers loaded, it still does it.
I don't think it matters any, but I did replace the hard drives in the machines with WD 500GB Caviar Blues (so I can just slap the 7200.12s they came with back in when we go to 7) and set the SATA controllers to IDE mode instead of RAID-which is what HP had it set to. The Caviar Blues have both been through a full surface scan and a zero fill, so I doubt the drives are defective.
EDIT: I've tried changing the boot order to boot from the HDD first, that doesn't do anything.
Anyhow; we're not ready to move to Windows 7 yet, and I had a couple of spare XP-64 licenses sitting around, so I'm putting it on these machines. I installed it on one machine, and it is now doing something that I have never seen before:
If I don't have the Windows CD in the DVD drive, the machine won't boot. It POSTs, and then before reaching the Windows boot screen, it restarts.
EDIT: I suspected a driver issue, but I just formatted and did a clean install. With no drivers loaded, it still does it.
I don't think it matters any, but I did replace the hard drives in the machines with WD 500GB Caviar Blues (so I can just slap the 7200.12s they came with back in when we go to 7) and set the SATA controllers to IDE mode instead of RAID-which is what HP had it set to. The Caviar Blues have both been through a full surface scan and a zero fill, so I doubt the drives are defective.
EDIT: I've tried changing the boot order to boot from the HDD first, that doesn't do anything.
Last edited: