Bittorrent Is Owning Me

Synnergy

Weaksauce
Just like the topic says, bittorrent is owning me. When I start dling a torrent, my internet connection shuts down, and I either have to unplug my modem for a while or reset my router. Its a linksys btw, so wtf do you think is wrong?

Here is some specs:

Windows XP, Roadrunner Cable , ABC BT Client

BT and others open many new connections every second. A poorly designed NIC and/or drivers will fail when put under such strain.

I've heard of many other owners of Linksys routers having the same issue with BT, BTW.

let me guess, Linksys befsr41 version 3 router,eh?

thats my POS Linksys router, and i occationally have the same problem if i put too much traffic through it. every single Linksys product i've ever owned has had some degree of major flaw, i definatly won't be buying anything else from them.

Synnergy said:
Ill try limiting the number of ocnnections then
Limit the number of simultaneous connections allowed, in addition to the range of ports and simultaneous torrents. What most people don't realize is that a torrent session can easily have a number of concurrent connections on par with busy servers. You can't expect excellent results with cheap NICs and residential-grade routers. However, its usually the NIC at fault. Save yourself the trouble and get a good NIC, it will pay off in BT and LAN gaming/file transfer. Try this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-106-118&depa=0

I notice BT owns my connection. Ive a 2mb line, and say I have one/two file downloading at say 40-100kb, and up at 40kb. Whenever I play a game online I lag like a 56kb!

I mean my connection has lots of speed left, so I must assume its a problem that ways.

BTW Im also using a linksys wireless router, but I have no problems with BT closing it.

Big P said:
I notice BT owns my connection. Ive a 2mb line, and say I have one/two file downloading at say 40-100kb, and up at 40kb. Whenever I play a game online I lag like a 56kb!

I mean my connection has lots of speed left, so I must assume its a problem that ways.

BTW Im also using a linksys wireless router, but I have no problems with BT closing it.

Your problem is a little different from Synnergy's. You're probably allowing bittorrent to use up all of you upstream bandwidth, and in games, you need some upstream bandwidth to the server to keep the connection smooth. Same with the net and such.

Get a client that allows you to limit the maximum upload speed.

yeah, i recently baught a linksys router with wireless and wired ports. that thing laged my connection so bad. i already had a router *belkin* and it gives me the best connection ive ever had. i can get better if i dont have a router at all. but the linksys make my download connection a 675KBS! and upload a 5kbs! i turned off the wireless part to see if it would speed things up.. and it didnt. i was getting a 90-100+ ping in servers that i would normaly get a 20 in. that night i took off the router and put back on my belkin and it went right back to normal. i recomend a belkin for sure if you want some good networking. i thought linksys was a good brand but they just have too many problems

I use to lease an old motorola surfboard and I just bought a new Motorola SB5100 and the new modem gets owned by BT compared to my old one

why is this?

mi linksys seems to be workin fine (no problems, no slowing down, <50 ping, good wireless, haven't restarted it in a few weeks, and great so far (had it for bout a year))
edit: i don't use bittorrent much... i rather download from a realiable FTP or sumthin

Hey, how does that nic differ from those integrated on motherboards? I see the bandwith difference but with a 10/100 network would I gain any benefits?

I have a Netgear router and I dont get those problems. I like performance upgrades though.

The reason linksys shuts down like that just incase of dos attacks or anything with high bandwidth. ;)

You can always turn off the firewall off the router and it wont shut down.

high bandwidth? i'm maxing out mines rite now and its not crashing ;)
edit: i never had mi router crash because of something like a virus/attack that the firewall sifted out...
edit again: the nics on motherboards don't have a dedicated processor/processing unit/whatever while the add-on cards (the better ones) have it, and it takes the load of the internet off the cpu, which means more processing power for other stuff :) but i jus use mi integrated nic cauz its cheeper and i got a crappy prebuilt computer :(

nightelfmaster said:
mi linksys seems to be workin fine (no problems, no slowing down, <50 ping, good wireless, haven't restarted it in a few weeks, and great so far (had it for bout a year))
edit: i don't use bittorrent much... i rather download from a realiable FTP or sumthin
Well I've never had a problem with reliability with BT. Works flawlessly for me just sometimes the speed can fluctuate from 40-100 back to 40 etc.
That's down to the seeds though of course.

thats y downloading from a FTP is usually better... the speeds don't fluctuate as much, and its reliable... And with bittorrent, you have to use your upload, instead of using it for playing a game or etc... i mean its a good concept and everything... but its just not as reliable, and sometimes gets slower speeds... i download at like 185KB/s on a reliable FTP, and it usually never goes down unless i surf the internet, going down at most to 150KB/s but with BT, it can drop to something like <100

nightelfmaster said:
thats y downloading from a FTP is usually better... the speeds don't fluctuate as much, and its reliable... And with bittorrent, you have to use your upload, instead of using it for playing a game or etc... i mean its a good concept and everything... but its just not as reliable, and sometimes gets slower speeds... i download at like 185KB/s on a reliable FTP, and it usually never goes down unless i surf the internet, going down at most to 150KB/s but with BT, it can drop to something like <100
Heh yes FTPs are GREAT and I love them but its often VERY hard to find quality ones when I do... usually its full, oversaturated, or I download at an amazing 5k/s.

Only time I used FTPs was to download source code files for compilation - my main complaint is that most of the stuff I need can't be found on FTP (unlicensed anime) or the speeds are actually worse than BT (linux distros in most cases).

When downloading linux .isos, FTP gets me about 60 - 100 KBps, whereas bt gets me about 160 - 200 KBps constant. Plus, most of the FTPs I hit up have like a 10 user limit.

I was having the same prob.

Action->Preferences>Advanced Settings->Max Peer Connections:60

That fixed the prob for me.

Yeah, all I did was limit the amount of connections and it fixed it. Thanks guy

lol... anyways... when i downloaded suse linux (forget from where) it was a steady 185KB/s (mi internet is capped to that (verizon dsl 1.5mb down, 386 up))

Back