Bitcoin self custody

Steve_010

Fully [H]
I've googled how to do this but I don't trust google and would rather hear first hand accounts. I'd like to move my BTC off an exchange but I'm not sure what is the best way. Should/can I use an old phone as a hardware wallet? Should I just use a software wallet on my current phone?

Thanks in advance.

Buy a trezor and use that. Put a backup one somewhere safe depending on how much Bitcoin you have. Software wallet on your phone sounds like a terrible idea.
That looks pretty neat. The one with the touchscreen for $250 seems like the way to go.

Trezor, Ledger, or ColdCard hardware wallet, bought directly from the source, not third party.

My Ledger is excellent as an alternative. I've never used a Trezor.

But definitely don't use a phone.

The hardware wallets are supposed to be safe even if you connect them to a malware infected machine because they require interaction on the device themselves to confirm any interaction. (I wouldn't risk connecting to a malware infected machine intentionally - but they are supposed to be safe).
Phone apps are a much better way to get your crypto stolen.

Just use a paper wallet and store it with your important documents?

You can generate/print a bunch at once and staple them together so you can tear off each one as you spend from them and deposit into the next one.

Just use a paper wallet and store it with your important documents?

You can generate/print a bunch at once and staple them together so you can tear off each one as you spend from them and deposit into the next one.
And how are you signing your transactions?

Back