Bitcoin Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, enough. There's nothing to be gained by pepetuating this bitchfest.

DooKey, please do us all a favor and not respond to any of this.

as much as he despises us, why is he even posting in this thread (the very thread he tried to get moved) at all...?

so basically you were complaining about us and not bitcoin itself...? um, we got that, it wasn't that hard to figure out and actually makes it more insulting and judgmental on a personal level...

As I read it, and agree with him, BitCoin is not a DC project, therefore it shouldn't be in the DC sub-forum. It's not a personal attack, it's a comment on BitCoin mining. BC Mining is a collaborative effort where if one member of your team solves an encryption problem, everyone in your team gets rewarded. The "real" DC projects are selfless efforts to solve some global problem, no reward other than points that reflect, or attempt to reflect, your contribution to that effort. Helping everyone without any "real" reward VS. financially helping yourself - see the distinction?

H.

As I read it, and agree with him, BitCoin is not a DC project, therefore it shouldn't be in the DC sub-forum. It's not a personal attack, it's a comment on BitCoin mining. BC Mining is a collaborative effort where if one member of your team solves an encryption problem, everyone in your team gets rewarded. The "real" DC projects are selfless efforts to solve some global problem, no reward other than points that reflect, or attempt to reflect, your contribution to that effort. Helping everyone without any "real" reward VS. financially helping yourself - see the distinction?

H.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I doubt you would care to educate yourself about the subject since you've already judged it in your post, but here are some links to get you started.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7269.0
http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=7815.0
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths

Guys, enough. There's nothing to be gained by pepetuating this bitchfest.

DooKey, please do us all a favor and not respond to any of this.

I don't see what the prob is to be honest. I made my point in my thread where I didn't agree that BC belonged in this sub forum. Nothing against BC since I am and have been doing it, but feel like it subtracts from what we are doing in this sub forum. Simple as that. I posted about the deal I got on a BC card since the powers that be decided this sub is appropriate. If the other BC folks are butthurt, too bad. BC shouldn't be in this sub IMO.

H.

Not trying to be offensive but I don't think you understand what "Distributed Computing" as a topic covers. Bitcoin is a distributed computing effort , it doesn't run in a centralized location off private servers it runs in solo form and what is considered "Distributed" or "Pool" computing.

This belongs in the sub form because its "exactly" on topic. Why does a distributed computing effort have to be non-profit? Is there some rule some where that states this? No there isn't. I run Folding@home on my computers as well as recently trying Bitcoin mining. These forums are in place to provide an atmosphere for those that actively participate on this web site and as long as you stay on topic you are free to post whatever you wish as long as it doesn't violate what the site admins are willing to tolerate. If you hate Bitcoin mining then that's fine , but there are other threads for you to spend your time instead of trolling this one.

The "real" DC projects are selfless efforts to solve some global problem, no reward other than points that reflect, or attempt to reflect, your contribution to that effort.

That's where I think it's wrong. DC is just that, distributed computing. It has nothing to do with profit, motive or solving a global problem. The purpose doesn't matter, it's still DC.

Wiki:
Distributed computing is a field of computer science that studies distributed systems. A distributed system consists of multiple autonomous computers that communicate through a computer network. The computers interact with each other in order to achieve a common goal. A computer program that runs in a distributed system is called a distributed program, and distributed programming is the process of writing such programs.
Distributed computing also refers to the use of distributed systems to solve computational problems. In distributed computing, a problem is divided into many tasks, each of which is solved by one or more computers.

Nothing there mentions that only computing networks with a common 'good' goal should be called DC. Now if [H] has a rule on only allowing certain DC projects to be talked about here, that also is fine. It's their forum, they pay the bills, they make the rules. I didn't see any DC/Allowed sticky on here forbidding it. It is a DC project so it should satisfy the only rule for this subforum, it's a DC project.

You guys just mad. Cuz today... You folders got served.... An informative lesson :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back