Bit Torrenting

mikey71497

Limp Gawd
I am new to torrenting, but am about to start looking into downloading various content. My questions is this. If I have a file that someone wants to DL off of me, do I automatically become a seeder? Do I only become a seeder while I am leeching off of someone else? How does this work? I dont want anyone to have access to my local machine or local content. Is there a way to setup my router to protect myself from this or am I missing something here??

You seed until you stop the torrent, you can either hit stop, or delete the torrent

If your torrenting legal stuff, no need to hide anything

But what exactly am I seeding? Am I seeding the torrent that I am in the middle of downloading? Of am I seeding content that is on my local machine/storage devices?

But what exactly am I seeding? Am I seeding the torrent that I am in the middle of downloading? Of am I seeding content that is on my local machine/storage devices?

Your seeding whatever torrents your downloading. Which is on your local hard drive

you don't seed anything unless you make/load a torrent, and the torrent has to point to the actual files. if you "make" a torrent you have to upload it to a "tracker". not necessary unless you are distributing your own content.

Am I seeding the torrent that I am in the middle of downloading?

Yes, and you will continue to seed it even after you're done downloading it, until you remove it from the list of torrents in your Bittorrent application. You will not seed anything that is not the list of torrents in your Bittorrent application.

If you attempt to prevent others from downloading a torrent you are downloading or seeding, you will tend to be put on automatic ban lists and suffer low or nonexistent download rates, because the Bittorrent application notices when a seed isn't sharing. Nothing personal about it - it's an automatic part of the software, and the basic premise of how bittorrent works.

The Internet is a public place, and bittorrenting is a relatively public thing to do. It is difficult (maybe impossible) to hide yourself from other torrenters, and it is impossible to hide yourself from your ISP, so don't have any illusions about having any privacy about what you are downloading.

Back