Bigfoot Killer NICs?

why would you buy a 200 buck nic?

i hardly doubt either of those will perform much better then a normal nic. the newegg reviews are pretty bad on it too.

serious waste of money if you buy one of those. You could just give it to me, I'll kick ya in the nutz, and we'll call it even.

They make all sorts of claims and do have a lot of hardware on them, but the actually difference they make is pathetic.

Your Router/Internet connection is going to have TONS more effect than this....that and the fact that a few ms do not make a difference in gaming.....so ya....

They will take a few ms of your ping. Really not worth it.

Well, my buddy wants to have the best internet connection possible, so he is willing to spend whatever amount to do that. And if it performs a little bit better, he will be very happy.

Are there any other differences other than what Aerobahn said?

Well, my buddy wants to have the best internet connection possible, so he is willing to spend whatever amount to do that. And if it performs a little bit better, he will be very happy.

Are there any other differences other than what Aerobahn said?

He wont get faster downloads, he wont get faster browsing speeds, and he wont do any better in games.

Only thing he will get is a slightly lower number next to ms in games....

It really is just stupid money to spend. He would be much better off buying a better CPU, More Memory, More HDDs, Better Mobo, really anything besides a way overpriced NIC.

a "better" Internet connection is only going to happen if you want to put down serious cash (3 to 4 digits a month) for a dedicated line with SLA. This will also require the hardware necessary to actually make use of this (business class router from the likes of Cisco, Juniper or the like). I think what he wants is a little out of his reach though. Honestly that killernic has come and died, and has minimal if any performance impact.

there is alot of better things you can get with $200. so what if it lowers your ping by 5ms? thats $40 per ms. if he really wants faster internet and ping times get a better internet connection or maybe even router. i droped about 10ms going from a dl-524 to a dgl-4300. i think for the same amount of money you can get a 8800gt.

Second one has a faster processor on it and supports some more of their apps(can't remember what the difference was software wise). Thats it.

It is basically a computer on a PCI card. Supposely you can write your own apps for it etc and run on it. Might be worth it if it is used toward that purpose.

So far 11 people (well 12...me) have said it's a total waste of time, effort and money, and nobody has said it will help, is a good idea or makes any sort of sense. Are you starting to see a pattern? Sort of a "trend" to the responses? Maybe you could say they "lean" in one particular direction a bit?

it has been reviewed and the reviews always showed it did help and was better then a regular nic but not 200 bucks better. unless you know how to use the onboad cpu system to make it usefull. heard its great for torrent stuff though. to relieve any lag on system while running the torrent clients.

if it dropped to the 50 dollar range it would fall into if you got the money its worth it range imo.

it has been reviewed and the reviews always showed it did help and was better then a regular nic but not 200 bucks better. unless you know how to use the onboad cpu system to make it usefull. heard its great for torrent stuff though. to relieve any lag on system while running the torrent clients.

if it dropped to the 50 dollar range it would fall into if you got the money its worth it range imo.

The problem is I would take a rock solid Intel Pro NIC over it any day for that kinda money. Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106010

But I guess if it came down in the <$50 range it might be more interesting...still I dont get why people worry so much about a few ms this way or that, it does not really make a difference! I get a 80-100ms ping in servers and still do just fine against people with 20-30ms pings. Also I think it is really hard to tell what kind of improvement this thing makes to your ping unless you play on the same server all the time cause I sometimes have a 50 ms ping and sometimes a 150 ms ping. All depending on the server and day.

Hookers and Blow?

Not that you would have a significant amount of cash left for the above, but if you found a hooker that just did some blow... perhaps you could pay her to lick it out of her nose...
that would still be a more intelligent use of the money...

I was thinking about better computer components. ie. new shiny keyboard, better mouse, or hell, even some of these:
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb_humping_dog.html
here is a video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI-pct3zy18

there are sooo many better ideas than spending $200 dollars on that gimmick nic...

Back