Bigfoot Killer NIC review @ Extremetech

Why did other reviews show a solid 10% framerate increase when extremetech showed between -5% and 5%? Someone's testing methodology is wrong. Jason Cross is pretty solid, though, and I agree with his conclusions on pricing regardless. Would be a neat toy at $99, but $279=hell no.

/sigh

discussed a lot around here.

*beats the dead horse*

Sadly, despite the negative conclusion, the review seems to regurgitate some of bigfoots propaganda:
extremetech review said:
Sometimes there is, sometimes there is not, but the act of checking requires traversing the Windows networking stack. Even though the CPU utilization impact of this is very low, it can still take a significant amount of time.
Uh yeah. Let's see the numbers please. :rolleyes:

It also looks like the BF2 test was capped at 100fps, with occasional drops. WoW was by their own admission capped at 64. If the game is artificially capping the FPS, any improvement in CPU load would be hidden.

Their test methodology is subject to a lot of possible random variation, but there certainly isn't any clear win for the killernic.

I would still like to see it compared to an ISA 3Com Etherlink type card.

As far as the NIC goes, weve already discussed this 3 or 4 times now. Hell, lets start another thread and make it five times. My biggest issue with this thing was 1. The price, and 2. Its not going to make your game faster over your crappy DSL/cable/FIOS internet.

This isnt for the people who use air-cooled CPUs, it isnt for those who are happy with 100BaseT ethernet. Its for those with a $300.00 watercooling setup, a $250.00 case, 10 gigabit ethernet...

Maximum PC just reviewed this also and gave it a 6 out of 10.

The Negative was:
Imperceptible ping reduction; very little performance gain.

just to be clear, Maximum PC meant that they didn't think they could necessarily percieve (as in Feel) the MEASURED 5+ms ping benefits.

But the FPS performance and ping benefits were real and tangible.

I personally think they were holding out for FNApps (and they went to print just a few weeks before FNA Firewall got released).

And FNA torrents is coming soon.

~~~~
Tom S.
Bigfoot Networks Engineer

Back