Big problem with CPU upgrade!

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
4,380
I have an Abit IC7 which had a p4 2.4 in it and just put in a new p4 3.2ghz chip, once i booted i went into bios, and changed my fsb freq back to 200 since i was oc'ing the 2.4 to 2.8. Once I chose the option to save settings and exit the bios screen just freezes up. Cant type, cant exit/save, or anything. So I reset the CMOS, reboot and go back into bios, didnt make any changes but went to save and again it freezes. Then after I do a forced reboot I get this message:

"CPU is unworkable or has been changed please recheck - CPU soft menu"

when I go back into bios the brand reads as it should 3.20 p4. But the Freq. reads as 1.60Ghz?! Anyone know whats going on here or how I can fix this?

Thanks
 
are you sure that the board you have supports prescott processors? i didnt look so dont flame if it does.
 
ok now see that you didnt accidentally nick the board when you removed the heatsink fan unit, if of course you used a screw driver.
 
When my IC7 first shipped, it did not support prescott. However they did release a bios update later to support it. I would Update the bios... but remember, right after you update the bios... go into the computer and clear the CMOS... that should fix your problem.
 
yup! that did it, i flashed my bios to latest version and it recognized the 3.2.. sheesh i should have thought of that.. d'oh!

Thanks
 
Back
Top