Beyerdynamic 770 PRO 80/250 difference

BlessedBullet

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
161
My Sennheiser 155's broke down and I'm thinking about buying some 770's for gaming purposes. The Beyers seem right to me because I hear they have more bass and they are closed headsets. I was looking at GuitarCenter and noticed there are two variants

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...ed-Studio-Headphones-250-Ohms?full_sku=272024

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...0_closed_studio_headphones?full_sku=102512019

What are the differences between the two and which would should I get?
 
The 80 is said to be more neutral and better for music, while the 250 is is more BASS. Not that the 80 doesnt have outstanding bass, it does.

Either way, you are going to want an amp.
 
I concur with the amp. I have the 250ohm, and after 2.5 months, I think it's finally getting broken in. The sound non-amp'd is very shallow, easily distorted lows, and painful highs...

Definatly look at purchasing an amp. Mister-X has a really good following here for that as well as a good rep for "home grown" amps. I personally went with a Headroom Miniamp, and have been very happy with it. In theory, if your soundcard has the "umph" it "could" support the 80ohm varient by itself, but i really don't recommend it. The difference is night and day.

I think these are great gaming headphones. Decent soundstage for music and such, but really do well on the gaming side. Absolutly purchase an amp for those. Also, you may want to improve your sound card. There was an audible improvement for me with the Elite Pro vs. Plat. (new vs. previous soundcard).

Just as a warning.... You have entered a path that has the potiential to cost ALOT of money... Who would have guess that sound is so important? :) I never, NEVER would have thought about spending an equal amount for a DAC (Constantine) vs. an 8800GTX??

To quote a saying very familiar at head-fi.org... Welcome, and sorry about your wallet.
 
get the 770 Pro/80's. they sound better in general and they are slightly better for gaming. I owned both at the same time and ended up keeping the 80's and selling the 250's.

An amp will really help you out. I use a self-built maxxed PIMETA with mine.

gaming setup as follows:
modded X-fi > Soloz Audio silver mini-RCA > PIMETA > Beyer DT770 Pro/80 w/ Zalman clip on mic
 
Back
Top